Wines we enjoyed last week (Aug24th-30th,2008)

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Wines we enjoyed last week (Aug24th-30th,2008)

Postby Michael Greenberg » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:17 pm

Belated post since it was a long Labour Day week-end ...anyway last week I had:

COYOTE''S RUN RESERVE CHARDONNAY 2006,VQA Niagara (St. David's Bench)

Terrific chard...4.5 of 5 stars ...stunning aromatics and flavours..exceptional balance and refinement...perhaps a bit more acidity would have achieved perfection...In any case its is very well made with thoughtful care to the details...aromas of spice(nutmeg and cloves)plus toasty oak vanilla emit off the glass...apple and pear flavours are clear and focused and super delicious...body is mid-weight yet with some creamy honeyed textures -but the sweetness is just right ,it was not left to be cloying...the effect is dry but with just a hint of zing...it finishes with a resfreshing fruitiness and no medicinal aftertaste that tend to ruin some chards...This is an excellent satisfying Chard that just misses perfection (asI said a bit more crispness-acid and it would be there)---but otherwise is damn good.

Again I had more beer than usual lastweek--but I'm back to less of that and more wine now that Saptember is here --so I'll have some nice reds to report on next week...

Feel free to add onto this thread what you enjoyed last week 9But don't duplicate the Friday Night wine reports here)
Michael Greenberg
Ultra geek

Re: Wines we enjoyed last week (Aug24th-30th,2008)

Postby Ryan M » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:22 am

I return to white Rhone after a 5 year hiatus. I've known and enjoyed Campuget's red for several years, a truly excellent wine at an exceptional price, and it turns out that the white is every bit as good.

Ch. de Campuget, Tradition Blanc, Costieres de Nimes 2005
Good, clean, pale golden color. Nose understated but rich. When first opened, not much to it other than citrus and a rich mouthfeel. After airing and warming, it reveals nice citrus upfront, followed by apples, peaches, and floral notes; the whole has a creamy, rich, slightly honeyed feel, or perhaps it could be the famous beeswax often described in white Rhone. Citrus acidity gives this persistence but it also has an almost nectary richness, and the mouthfeel is great. A very excellent wine, with genuine character and complexity. Who needs Chardonnay? A tremendous value at $10, and a very equal partner to their excellent red. Should last another 2 - 3 years. 60% Roussane, 30% Grenache Blanc, 10% Marsanne. Excellent (87 - 90)
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
Ryan M
Wine Gazer

Re: Wines we enjoyed last week (Aug24th-30th,2008)

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:03 pm

In my case, largely because I had to do tastings of quite a few Champagnes, no choice but to say that about a dozen or more of those were later consumed and were indeed the most enjoyed of the week.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum