Stratsplace last day!

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Stratsplace last day!

Postby Eli R » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:31 pm

Hello All,

Today is the last official day for our "old" forum which served Daniel Rogov and other forum members for many years.

Following Art Stratemeyer untimely death, Stratsplace will be going off-line sometime in the very near future.

I propose a toast to the memory of Art and our "old" forum and Mr. Rogov's on-line database.

Eli

P.S. - If you want to make notes of old posts, hurry up and "Copy & paste" before it is too late.
I took copies of Rogov's WTN for about 25 Israeli wineries, of which I already posted 10.
see: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17004
Eli R
Wine guru

Re: Stratsplace last day!

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:22 pm

Indeed, as I read your post, I raised my glass to Art for here was a man who knew how to enjoy life while remaining fully true to his ethics. In short, Art was a truly warm and genuinely decent human being. More than that we ask of no person.

As to the on-line data base.....I believe that with the help of Cynthia and several who worked with Art, that will one day be made part of the this site as well.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Jan Schultink » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:09 pm

Just back from holiday. Still standing by my earlier comment: a shame that a simple technology solution was not able to preserve the archives, not only tasting notes, but the discussions around them.
Jan Schultink
Ultra geek

Postby Matilda L » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:40 pm

I'll certainly raise a glass to all the good discussions, and the people who met each other on the old forum. I'm really happy that we've been able to cross over into this new forum and become part of a new community. Sorry that some people haven't come with us, and miss them.

Matilda
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby Menachem S » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:18 pm

I shall have to enjoy something special with tomorrow's bbq (labor day weekend in the states) in his memory.

From what I knew, a man worth remebering.
Menachem S
Wine guru

Postby Robin Garr » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:28 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Indeed, as I read your post, I raised my glass to Art for here was a man who knew how to enjoy life while remaining fully true to his ethics. In short, Art was a truly warm and genuinely decent human being. More than that we ask of no person.

Raising a glass in Art's memory over here (well, a virtual glass - it's still before lunch time). I had the pleasure of knowing Art many years ago, as he was a regular participant in the original WLDG when it was the only Web-based wine forum, and enjoyed dining with him and Betsy in their home when I was on a business trip to Raleigh.

His passing should remind us all that life is short and unpredictable, and that we should always make room in our lives and our hearts for our friends while we've got 'em.

As to the on-line data base.....I believe that with the help of Cynthia and several who worked with Art, that will one day be made part of the this site as well.

I hope so, too. Cynthia has more tech skills in her little finger than I do in my whole body, but she has been hellishly busy at work lately and may be so for a while. We'll hope, for her sake and ours, that this abates before long.
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Jan Schultink » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:38 pm

Robin, What about importing the forum discussions itself over to an archive in this forum (to which you cannot reply anymore)? It shouldn't take up that much space (it was a small forum). Best, Jan
Jan Schultink
Ultra geek

Postby Robin Garr » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:11 pm

Jan Schultink wrote:Robin, What about importing the forum discussions itself over to an archive in this forum (to which you cannot reply anymore)? It shouldn't take up that much space (it was a small forum). Best, Jan

Jan, unfortunately we ran into the same issue with our OWN forum when we moved to this software. Because it's housed in an extremely complex MySQL system with extensive interlocking tables, it's simply not practical to import an entire forum from a different format. We would love to be accommodating, but I honestly just don't see how that could be done as a practical matter. I'm very sorry. (And, I should add, if any genius can come up with a solution that does not require significant work effort by our overloaded team, we'll certainly look at it.)
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum