Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Recipe and instructions needed for pickling green tomatoes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Recipe and instructions needed for pickling green tomatoes

by Jenise » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:54 am

Sadly, an inspection of our tomato plants yesterday proved that our tomatoes were, no joke, rotting on the vine. The season that never really started is officially over. The rot is a soft spot that starts out transluscent and turns pale brown, then gray, at which point applying any pressure at all causes your finger to punch a hole right through it. We pulled all the vines and harvested the green fruit that hadn't developed any rot yet, which was about half--about 50 lbs worth. I set the largest and most obviously mature out on a table on the sunnier side of the house in hopes some might ripen yet, but the majority don't have a chance, and I am wondering about pickling them instead. I love the Jewish style of pickled tomato and would love a recipe for those, if anyone knows. I'll cross-post this to Rogov's culinary section, too.

Additionally, is any green tomato a candidate for pickling? Obviously, some I picked are very immature, but since they're all green I can't tell which is which by size alone--does that matter?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Recipe and instructions needed for pickling green tomatoes

by Thomas » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:32 am

Jenise wrote:Sadly, an inspection of our tomato plants yesterday proved that our tomatoes were, no joke, rotting on the vine. The season that never really started is officially over. The rot is a soft spot that starts out transluscent and turns pale brown, then gray, at which point applying any pressure at all causes your finger to punch a hole right through it. We pulled all the vines and harvested the green fruit that hadn't developed any rot yet, which was about half--about 50 lbs worth. I set the largest and most obviously mature out on a table on the sunnier side of the house in hopes some might ripen yet, but the majority don't have a chance, and I am wondering about pickling them instead. I love the Jewish style of pickled tomato and would love a recipe for those, if anyone knows. I'll cross-post this to Rogov's culinary section, too.

Additionally, is any green tomato a candidate for pickling? Obviously, some I picked are very immature, but since they're all green I can't tell which is which by size alone--does that matter?

Don't know about pickling them, but you can eat them right now.

Get some egg, cornmeal, and cayenne pepper (fresh or powdered).

Pour a small mound of cornmeal on two separate plates. In between the two plates of cornmeal, place a bowl of whipped egg.

Slice the green tomatoes about 1/4 inch each. One at a time, dip a slice in the first cornmeal bowl, then soak both sides in the egg, then dip it into the second cornmeal bowl to coat it. Sprinkle a little powdered cayenne on it and rest the slice on a paper towel until you have all slices coated. (Add more corn meal and egg as you need them.)

If you are truly old-fashioned, melt some lard to coat a nice cast iron pan. If not, pour canola oil into a pan, enough for each tomato slice to almost be covered in oil. Heat the oil, not to French fry status, medium is enough (although this is one of those things I do by feel and sense).

Cook tomato slices until each side is nicely browned--flip them over to make sure.

If you have fresh cayenne peppers, slice them and throw the skins and seeds into the oil with the tomatoes.

Some people use ketchup on the fried green tomatoes, some use mayo, I use either mint or basil leaves to top them.

Wonderful with cornmeal fried catfish, too!
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:28 pm

Am definitely go to make FGT's! But first I need to restock grits: I'm thinking of the shrimp, bisque sauce, grits and FGT's I had for dinner at the Magnolia Grill in Charleston. Except here, it will be crab bisque, which I made a huge batch of last weekend and froze in small lots. Never would have thought of throwing pepper seeds in the frying oil and will have to try that--I have some fresh piri piris, those should do.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:49 pm

Thomas wrote:Some people use ketchup on the fried green tomatoes, some use mayo, I use either mint or basil leaves to top them.

Wonderful with cornmeal fried catfish, too!

Thomas, I whole heartedly endorse your green tomato treatment, but I would make one small change . That would be to make the second cornmeal dredge coat a half and half cornmeal and flour. And, for a topping all I can recommend is to shave or grate some fresh parmesan and top the slices with that.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:00 am

Bob, ever make a fried green tomato BLT? To die for.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:20 pm

Jenise wrote:Bob, ever make a fried green tomato BLT? To die for.

I have not Jenise, but you can bet the ranch that I will before the frost.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:25 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Jenise wrote:Bob, ever make a fried green tomato BLT? To die for.

I have not Jenise, but you can bet the ranch that I will before the frost.

You won't be sorry. Oh, and I further reccomend it on sour dough. That's what I'm making for breakfast tomorrow.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:17 pm

Jenise wrote:You won't be sorry. Oh, and I further reccomend it on sour dough. That's what I'm making for breakfast tomorrow.

You drive a hard bargain, but I am up to the challenge.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:26 am

I'm going to have to try that BL-G-T too.
Thomas P