The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Barolo and Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: Barolo and Bordeaux

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:53 pm

Yesterday, I was in the mood for sausage and mushroom risotto for dinner. It wasn't my usual warm weather cooking, but I didn't mind the heat in the kitchen. Our wine was a 1998 Einaudi Barolo - some went in the pot and the rest in our glasses. The wine had a pronounced nose of licorice and flowers, with the licorice following through on the palate along with dark plums. Some noticeable drying tannins on the finish, a pleasure to drink now and just perfect with the risotto.
Today, I met a friend for lunch at a local BYO. I brought along what I consider an insignificant wine, 2000 Larose Trintadon, but it impressed us. Beautiful aromatics showing a bouquet of roses, flavors of dark summer fruits, with very soft tannins at the very end. A very nice showing for this lesser chateau and a reminder of the beauty of the vintage. Not a terribly good match for my lunch of summer vegetable soup with chicken ravioli starter or my entree of sauteed red snapper over a chick pea salad. My friend's entree of salmon and red cabbage seemed to match better. It didn't matter as it was a perfect lunch wine.
Diane
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Re: WTN: Barolo and Bordeaux

by Howard » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:07 pm

Yesterday, I was in the mood for sausage and mushroom risotto for dinner. It wasn't my usual warm weather cooking, but I didn't mind the heat in the kitchen.

Hi Diane!

It's funny how sometimes you've just got a taste for something and you've got to have it. I was in the mood for some sausage and kraut the other day and as I sat down to eat it I thought it would have been much more appropriate for a cool autumn lunch. Nevermind it was delicious.

Thanks for the notes.
Howard
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: WTN: Barolo and Bordeaux

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:36 pm

Hi Howard - once the garden vegetables are ready, I will be doing strictly summertime food, so this was my last chance to get a hearty dish in. I did use some of the thyme from the garden.
Diane