Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:26 pm

Jim Cowan, known to many as Florida Jim, has just gone live on the internet to announce the future release of his first wine, a 2007 Syrah from Cowan Cellars. Jim long ago established his personna asone of good taste, good humor and human warmth. I look forward enormously to tasting his first wine. Jim's internet site can be found at http://www.cowancellars.com

To Jim, my warmest wishes for a combination of success and satsifaction.

Best
Rogov
User avatar
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon
 
Posts: 12964
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Postby Florida Jim » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:34 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Jim Cowan, known to many as Florida Jim, has just gone live on the internet to announce the future release of his first wine, a 2007 Syrah from Cowan Cellars. Jim long ago established his personna asone of good taste, good humor and human warmth. I look forward enormously to tasting his first wine. Cowan Cellar's internet site can be found at http://cowancellars.com/cowancellars.com/Home.html

To Jim, my warmest wishes for a combination of success and satsifaction.

Best
Rogov


Well, thank you Daniel.
BTW, you can tell this is my first time as the e-mail address given on the website doesn't work. I had no idea website building was so hard.
So if anyone would like to contact me about the wines, please just drop me a PM here until we get the bugs out.
Its always something.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
User avatar
Florida Jim
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1421
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm
Location: St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Postby Ed Draves » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:18 am

Jim,
Is this a Florida, NC or other State wine? Do you have a disruptor?
Ed Draves
Wine guru
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Postby David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:10 am

I'm on the list! I'm on the list! :wink: :D

Ed - it's California wine (all 20 cases of it).
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
User avatar
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru
 
Posts: 21541
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Postby Ed Draves » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:24 am

Thanks David, will you post TN's ?
Ed Draves
Wine guru
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:53 am

Jim, Hi....

When is the wine scheduled for release? Can you share with us winemaker's notes (grapes, winemaking methods, time in oak, type of oak, etc,etc...?

Best
Rogov
User avatar
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon
 
Posts: 12964
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Postby Florida Jim » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:22 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Jim, Hi....

When is the wine scheduled for release? Can you share with us winemaker's notes (grapes, winemaking methods, time in oak, type of oak, etc,etc...?

Best
Rogov

Daniel,
Sometime after January, 2009. I'll make the call when I think it is ready to be released.

The grapes are all sourced from the Dry Stack Vineyard, in the Bennett Valley AVA of Sonoma County, CA. The wine was made at Vinify Wine Services in Santa Rosa, CA. I am the only person making any of the decisions and I did almost all of the work.
The grapes are clone 877 syrah and were destemmed and cold soaked for three days. Fermentation took seven days and was never allowed to exceed 78 degrees F. There were no punch downs or pump overs, rather, I did what I refer to as pull-ups three times a day - essentially, running ones hands down the side of the bin and pulling the grapes at the bottom to the surface. My intent was to leave as many berries as possible, whole, for as long as they would last that way.
A small basket press was used and the pressure was minimal in the press. Most of the wine was free run.
The wine went into a five year old Francois Freres barrel that had never seen red wine before and spent a total of nine months in barrel.
ML was completed in barrel over about two months.
Final analysis just prior to bottling; 3.49 ph, 30 ppm free sulpher, .65 g/100 ml titratable acidity, .042 g/100 ml volitile acidity, 13.9% abv. The wine was racked twice before being bottled under natural cork.
First tastes after bottling show an especially aromatic wine with considerable acidity and a profile very much like a barrel sample. My evaluation - promising.
One month later there is discernable rounding on the palate and integration in the mouth. Smooth tannins, bright flavors and, again, considerable aromatics mostly in the lavender, pepper, purple fruit spectrum. My evaluation - for my tastes, exceptional.
IMO, the wine needs more time in bottle prior to release but I am pleased with its purity, aromas and structure, and utterly delighted with the absence of any wood influence in the nose or on the palate and the lack of any sugary-sweet quality to the fruit. This is a food wine, not a cocktail wine, and, perhaps best of all, my wife likes it.
I anticipate that it will be long lived under proper cellar conditions and will put a case away for the future.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
User avatar
Florida Jim
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1421
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm
Location: St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:44 pm

Jim, Hi....

Thanks for the detailed post. Among other things you wrote:

I anticipate that it will be long lived under proper cellar conditions and will put a case away for the future.


I do hope one of those bottles will be opened despite its youth when I visit Florida in the coming mid-winter.

Best
Rogov
User avatar
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon
 
Posts: 12964
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Postby Florida Jim » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:05 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Jim, Hi....

Thanks for the detailed post. Among other things you wrote:

I anticipate that it will be long lived under proper cellar conditions and will put a case away for the future.


I do hope one of those bottles will be opened despite its youth when I visit Florida in the coming mid-winter.

Best
Rogov


With pleasure.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
User avatar
Florida Jim
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1421
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm
Location: St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Postby Jonathan K » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:03 pm

Jim,
How do you compare your wine to the recent releases of Dry Stack Vineyards syrahs? I have found those to be absolutely stunning. Good luck with your venture. I hope you have some wine to sell me.
Best,
Jonathan
Jonathan K
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

Re: Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Postby Florida Jim » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:33 pm

Jonathan K wrote:Jim,
How do you compare your wine to the recent releases of Dry Stack Vineyards syrahs? I have found those to be absolutely stunning. Good luck with your venture. I hope you have some wine to sell me.
Best,
Jonathan


Jonathan,
My wine never sees new wood; that will make it different both aromatically and in the mouth.
Nonetheless, the cool climate nature of the area and the vineyard signature are evident.
I prefer my wine but then, I made it for me.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
User avatar
Florida Jim
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1421
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm
Location: St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Postby Robert Reynolds » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:47 pm

January is an excellent time to ship wine to Oklahoma, since it's cold then. :wink:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
User avatar
Robert Reynolds
1000th member!
 
Posts: 3700
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:52 am
Location: Sapulpa, OK

Re: Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Postby Lior Yogev » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:53 am

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the interesting details. Did I understand correctly that you used a barrel previously used for white wines?

Best of luck !

Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: A green Israeli campus

Re: Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Postby Florida Jim » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:35 pm

Lior Yogev wrote:Did I understand correctly that you used a barrel previously used for white wines?


Yes.
Less chance of brett.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
User avatar
Florida Jim
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1421
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm
Location: St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Postby Mark Lipton » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:17 pm

Florida Jim wrote:
Lior Yogev wrote:Did I understand correctly that you used a barrel previously used for white wines?


Yes.
Less chance of brett.


Hey, what's wrong with Brett in Syrah? You gonna give me all your Chave Hermitage, Jim?

Mark "BrettBoy" Lipton
User avatar
Mark Lipton
Oenochemist
 
Posts: 4281
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:18 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Postby Jenise » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:44 pm

[quote="Florida Jim"] I must have some too! And I will bring good luck: I bought pinots from Adam Lee's (Siduri) first barrel, and look how well that turned out!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 25778
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Postby Bob Henrick » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:10 pm

Florida Jim wrote:Daniel,
Sometime after January, 2009. I'll make the call when I think it is ready to be released.

The grapes are all sourced from the Dry Stack Vineyard, in the Bennett Valley AVA of Sonoma County, CA. The wine was made at Vinify Wine Services in Santa Rosa, CA. I am the only person making any of the decisions and I did almost all of the work.
The grapes are clone 877 syrah and were destemmed and cold soaked for three days. Fermentation took seven days and was never allowed to exceed 78 degrees F. There were no punch downs or pump overs, rather, I did what I refer to as pull-ups three times a day - essentially, running ones hands down the side of the bin and pulling the grapes at the bottom to the surface. My intent was to leave as many berries as possible, whole, for as long as they would last that way.
A small basket press was used and the pressure was minimal in the press. Most of the wine was free run.
The wine went into a five year old Francois Freres barrel that had never seen red wine before and spent a total of nine months in barrel.
truncated

Jim, Reading between the lines, I figure you are saying "this "ain't" no durn Oz shiraz! :lol:
Bob Henrick
User avatar
Bob Henrick
Wine guru
 
Posts: 3923
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:35 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.

Re: Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Postby Florida Jim » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:23 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Jim, Reading between the lines, I figure you are saying "this "ain't" no durn Oz shiraz!


Bob,
Right you are.
We were looking for a food wine with good acidity and aromatics. That's exactly what we got.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
User avatar
Florida Jim
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1421
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm
Location: St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: Florida Jim is Now In The Business.

Postby Jan Schultink » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:04 am

Good luck with this venture Jim.
User avatar
Jan Schultink
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:47 am
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel


Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests