The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: summer stuff

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: summer stuff

by Mark S » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:57 am

Hot humid weather demands wines that do not sag and wilt in the heat. Some success found and a joy as well.

Vigna di Terre Rosse, Colline Salzzesi, Pelaverga, 2004 Color of pale light ruby. Sweet onionskin and strawberry on the nose whereas tart morning strawberries from the field, with tarry notes and firm acidity. This is minimally fruity with a citric acid finish. light and sappy, but mouth drying tannins make this not for the faint of heart. B

Lingenfelder, Riesling, Grosskarlbacher Osterberg-S, 2001 Light brassy gold. Some light floral and calcium aromatics, lime blossom and lemon curd in the glass. Only medium in acidity, this doesn't seem to have the stuffing (in body or acid) to age, but works for a summer's day. B

Brana, Irouleguy, 2002 (blanc)
From that little outpost in SW France that thinks it wants to be Spanish, or Basque, or whatever. This is light gold with a slightly greenish cast to it. Gingered lime blossom and sea tang on the nose. Lemon-lime, minerals, bracing acidity and a slight honey wash on the palate. Full of nervosity, and similar to a bracing sauvignon blanc. 13.5% Thanks to Steve for this! B+

Marcarini, Dolcetto d'Alba, 'Boschi di Berri', 2004 From Marcarini's plot of old-vine dolcetto (yes, there really is such a thing), something like 100-120 years old coems this stunner. This has deep purplish syrah-like red colors, but without the purple-blue most dolcetto has. Dusty black cherry and fresh mint leaves on the nose. Black cherry, skin of Italian plums, chalky and almost muddy tasting finish of Sechuan black tea. This exudes balance, concentration, and weight in equal doses with no hard edges. Would expect this to age for several years, as a good Beaujolais would. A- to A

Poggio Antico, Brunello di Montalcino, 1996 Darkish maroonish red, beginning to show it's age. Fir and mentholated cherry-fig on the nose. Austere cherry and slight licorice bark, feels mosre alcoholic than the 13.5% should be. B

Muller-Catoir, Rieslaner, Musbacher Eselshaut, A, 1998 Caramel bronze gold. Soft, with baked compote flavors, more on the palate than the nose, with lots of spices, burnt flan sugar, lemon oil. Feels lacking a little in acidity, but the spicy finish remains, long after the wine is gone. From a 375ml bottle. Rieslaner is a cross between Riesling & Sylvaner. B+ Anybody know why MC likes to play with these odd grapes (like this and scherebe)? Surely must get warm enough in the Pfalz...

Dom. de la Pepiere, Muscadet, 2004 From the plastic corked bottle. Similar to, but not quite as good as what I remembered from the last time. Merely ok, with the alcohol protruding into my little summer fest of a day. Feels a little lost. B to B+
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: summer stuff

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:50 am

Well the Lingenfelder is likely closed right now. While 2001 was not his best vintage, he did make some pretty well stuffed wines. Lots of the 2001s are not showing much now.

Muller-Catoir is/was among the greatest sources for both Rieslaner and Scheurebe. for a long time Riesling was actually not the star player. They have great vineyards for both of those iconic crossings, and examples from 1992, 1994 and 1998 are some of the best wines imaginable.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

CraigW

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:38 pm

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

by CraigW » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:06 pm

I had the pleasure of drinking a 2001 Schloss Schonborn Riesling Spatlese a few days ago, and it was, for me, one of the greatest white wine experiences I've had yet.

Wonderful, harmonious balance of fruit, flowers and acidity with incredible in-your-face freshness that demanded we get a second bottle. I didn't find it closed at all, perhaps this wine wasn't intended for much aging, and/or I appreciate younger Rieslings, but the structure was, in my mind, perfect and it paired superbly with the green curry-based Thai cuisine that night. With a retail price of around $20 CAD, it represents terrific value. Ironically, I've only been able to find the 2000 in town, and bought what I could of it.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:15 pm

CraigW wrote:I had the pleasure of drinking a 2001 Schloss Schonborn Riesling Spatlese a few days ago, and it was, for me, one of the greatest white wine experiences I've had yet.

Wonderful, harmonious balance of fruit, flowers and acidity with incredible in-your-face freshness that demanded we get a second bottle. I didn't find it closed at all, perhaps this wine wasn't intended for much aging, and/or I appreciate younger Rieslings, but the structure was, in my mind, perfect and it paired superbly with the green curry-based Thai cuisine that night. With a retail price of around $20 CAD, it represents terrific value. Ironically, I've only been able to find the 2000 in town, and bought what I could of it.

Have you tasted the 2000 yet? 2000 was a problematic vintage (rot). I hope your bottles are good.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

CraigW

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:38 pm

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

by CraigW » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:18 pm

yikes!! Not yet... Will do tonight though as you've struck my interest.