If / Friday Night wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

If / Friday Night wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:29 am

bsd
When we partake ,enjoy,and then are gratefull; the process becomes elevated above and beyond the physical
limitations of what we are doing.But to feel and even declare our appreciation once we get that which we desire is quite challenging but so very much worth the effort.
Have a good one; h
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: If / Friday Night wine

Postby Doug Z » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:05 pm

"Man does not live on bread alone, (Deut 8:3) Frequently there must be beverage."

amen to that.

tonight some of Banfi's gavi with salmon.

GV gave it a bad note, (http://tv.winelibrary.com/2007/10/17/gavi-wine-tasting-episode-335/) but what the hey...
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
Doug Z
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:11 pm

Doug...

What is the vintage year of the Banfi Gavi wine?

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Doug Z » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:15 pm

principessa gavia
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
Doug Z
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:06 pm

Doug, Hi....

I have not yet watched/listened to Gary's comments but following is my own tasting note for the wine in question. Good luck and godspeed.

Best
Rogov

Banfi, Principessa Gavia, Gavi, Piedmont, 2007: A simple little white, with generous nectarine and grapefruit flavors along with some flinty minerals. Alas, so much acidity here that it is almost mouth puckering instead of being refreshing and crisp. Only with food! Drink now. Score 78. (Tasted 6 Aug 2008)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Doug Z » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:25 pm

u nailed it.

reminded me abit of mount hermon white.

finished the meal with limocello of villa massa.

i guess i just cant get italy out of my mind. and mouth.

harry, shabbat shalom to u too.
Doug Z
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:38 pm

Italian as well for me this evening. A light dinner that opened (unusually for us) with cheese and crackers, in this case a fine Gorgonzola and then, an hour later, proscuitto and melon. With the cheese the following...

La Braccesca,Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Santa Pia, Tuscany, 2003: Made entirely from Prugnolo Gentile grapes (the local name for Sangiovese), developed in oak for 14 months, a full-bodied red with soft, well integrated tannins and gentle spicy wood. Opens to reveal generous berry, black cherry and dried red cherry fruits, all on a soft, round and caressing background, finishing with a light hint of licorice. Drink now-2009. NIS 157. Score 90.

With the melon a glass of the sparkling 2001 Blanc de Blancs of the Golan Heights Winery of which much has already been said on the forum.

Right now its coffee and simple butter cookies. Later a bit of Calvados.....

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Doug Z » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:42 pm

Made entirely from Prugnolo Gentile grapes

there's gotta be a joke in there somehwere....
Doug Z
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:34 pm

Doug.....

The Italian meaning of the word gentile varies considerably from that of the English translates as gracious, nice, pollite, pleasing or soft. My guess is that as it relates to wine, the word would translate to "soft". Or am I missing it and the joke lies elsewhere?

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Eli R » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:23 pm

Dinner in Kochav Yair with relatives, what would be more appropriate than an excellent wine from the neighboring Saslove winery:

Saslove, Shiraz-Cabernet Sauvignon, Adom, 2005: Developed in oak for 20 months this blend of 60% Shiraz and 40% Cabernet Sauvignon will remind many of the Mollydooker wines of Australia. Dark garnet, full-bodied, with firm tannins and peppery wood notes, those given a racy feeling by generous currant, cherry and raspberry fruits. On the background, tantalizing hints of pepper and tar, all culminating in a long, mouth-filling finish. Drink now-2012, perhaps longer. Score 91.

I have tasted this wine several times, but this was the first bottle I opened at a dinner table, really enjoyable.

Eli
Eli R
Wine guru

Postby Birger Vejrum » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:50 am

Hi Harry,

We had Martins Pasta with green asparagus http://berlinkitchen.com/berlinkitchen/ ... ragus.html and Dolcotto "Bricco" 2005 from Mascarello Giuseppe e figlio.

Great food and wine.

ciao
Birger
Birger Vejrum
Ultra geek

Postby Avi Hein » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:19 pm

This weekend was a bottle of 2005 Barkan Reserve Sauvignon Blanc that I picked up at Tel Aviv's Wine Hall for 29 shekels. At the end of the drinking window, it was a bit too acidic but that actually paired well with the salad with oil & vinegar -- a hard pairing in my view. But there was an interesting lemony twist, that made this wine an interesting and worthwhile experiment.
It's Israeli Wine 2.0 - HaKerem: The Israeli Wine Blog - http://www.israeli-wine.org
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/avihein - @avihein & http://www.twitter.com/israelwines - @israelwines
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/israelwine
Avi Hein
Ultra geek

Postby Josh Patt » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:34 pm

Had the 2007 Yarden Suavignon Blanc and the 2007 Tzorah Shoresh Blanc
The Yarden is a good SB, crisp and dry. Relatively full boodied for a SB.
The Tzorah is made from Gewurztraminer. It's dry and refreshing with a flowery nose. In the mouth there is pineapple and other tropical fruits with good balancing acidity. A very good and interesting white, very suitable for the summer.

We also had a 2002 Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon. A rich and mouth fulling Cabernet, drinking very nicely now.

Josh
Josh Patt
Ultra geek

Postby EY Han » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:29 pm

bsd

Friday night started out with grape juice for Kiddush, but we started out after the breaking of bread with the GHW Yarden Blanc de Blancs, 2001.Then I opened my third bottle of Ella Valley Pinot Noir, 2005 after the previous two Shabbats had spoiled bottles all purchased on the same day from the same source, and this one was a lot better, but still not to normal condition… I already had a alternative bottle that I was originally thinking maybe to save the daytime/lunch, and I opened the single bottle of Carmel Winery Appellation Limited Edition, 2002, which I expected to have much more sediment and was outstanding even enjoying it more than the 2003! By dessert time, the "less-off" bottle of Pinot was finished nonetheless. Then another guest got into town extra late, and found the house very difficultly to be put it shortly, so we opened my bottle of Gaill Mountain CS, 2006 that I originally planned to open as the red wine and Kiddush for lunch.
Lunch had no wine, and Kiddush for it only had Hevron Heights Winery White Grape Juice.
Third Meal started out a little sparse, but then I was able to eat dairy by the end and opened up a pack of assorted 6-pack of assorted spiced/flavored "Brusit" organic goat cheeses from Tzon El dairy in Sipphoris in the Galilee with a nice baguette from Basher's cheese shop along with a bottle of Tabor Rosé, 2007.

Tonight is my father's Yahrzeit, so after closing out Shabbat I did a little memorial gathering in honor of him and opened a magnum bottle of Domaine du Castel Grand Vin, 2003, and also did a mini vertical tasting of the 2004 and 2003 vintages of GHW Yarden Noble Sémillon Botrytis along side two more nice breads from Basher's and some more fine cheeses from Tzon El (Beer Cheese and Tom).

Best wishes,
E.Y.
EY Han
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:23 am

Hi,tried the red fern(long island)cab 2002.flavors of stewed plums,medium bodied and as mr rogov would say drink up!h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Ilan T » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:19 am

Friday night we opened a bottle of Ella Valley Vineyard's Choice Cab 2003 which put on a good showing. Deep purple color. Intensely rich flavors of berries and plums with a distinct herbal backbone. Maybe a little hot, but still very well-balanced with the fruit to stand up to the alcohol. Very enjoyable.

Shabbat day we had the kosher version of the Rose de Clarke 2004. Not the most vibrant of rose colors. Clearly made from Cabernet grapes and showed classic red Bordeaux notes on the nose, but still very light as you would expect from a rose. The Cab notes cam through on first sip, but supplemented by watermelon and gooseberries. Refreshing, but not the best rose I've had.

Shavua tov,
Ilan
@winemakerguy
Ilan T
Ultra geek

Postby Barry K » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Galil Mountain Yiron 2001 .. Fruit forward . full bodies.. long finish .. wine stll drinking beautifully but not for cellaring
Barry K
Ultra geek

Postby Billy M » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:51 pm

This was a very pleasant Shabbat wine wise - As my son is going back to school Friday night he asked that I open a 04 Herzog Russian River Chardonnay which we did. Interestingly I didnt find it as enjoyable as the last time. Not as crisp and fresh. Maybe the "oak" is starting to overshadow the more citrusy elements. We also had the 03 Yatir Forest. This is really a remarkable bottle of wine and we both enjoyed it immensely
Shabbat afternoon we went to a friend that had lunch in honor of his daughter's Bat Mitzva. We had the 04 Capcanes Perah HaAbib, the 01 Galil Mtn Yiron and the 02 Segals Unfiltered. The latter was at its perfection, balanced tannins, round luscious fruits and just harmonious throughout. The Yiron was alos drinking well and didnt throw off as much sediment as many as I normally have seen. Needless to say the Capcanes was delicious, though perhaps a bit premature. Someone also brought the Yarden 96 Merlot. I was surprised to see it as I didnt expect it to be drinking well - I wasnt far off. Starting to turn brown, the bitter taste overshadowing any fruits that might have remained.
(aka newlawyer)
Is this stuff on the level or are you just making it up as you go along? (Groucho)
Billy M
Wine geek

Postby Jonathan K » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:27 pm

Friday night: Galil Yiron 2003. Showing very well the fruit in good harmony with the oak, very gentle friendly tannins.
Saturday lunch: Four Gates 2004 Chardonnay: I have been a big fan of this one and it didn't disappoint. Medium to full bodied, turning a golden shade of yellow, the fruits (pear, peach, fig) in excellent balance with bright acidity. The oak I think is starting to exert more influence here than in the previous year. I am curious if anybody else has tried this recently.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby Menach N » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:25 pm

Hi
friday night i had a Yarden Merlot 1999 which was a pleasent suprise (after expeting something ...) showing age but nice. you can find Rogovs TN and mine here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17839
by day i woke up with a heavy sinus cold so..by the afternoon decided to try what i brought and had the Ella Valley Vineyards Cabernet sauvignon 2004 a nice wine very vibrant and fresh with a nice smell of red and black fresh cherries, and thats about it , i was able to feel a nice full texture in the palate and a bit of a sharp finish,
really looking fwd for this cold to go away :cry:
a wonderfull & healthy week to all
- Menach
Menach N
Ultra geek

Postby Alek W » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:38 am

Friday night: Vitkin Pinot Noir 2006 - excellent Israeli Pinot Noir, better than Galil Mountain and by far better than Gamla.
Pelter Trio 2006 - meanwhile reminds of Mount Hermon Red but will definitely improve; will try the next bottle in a year.

Saterday lunch: Tabor Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 - I reiterate: this is one of the best choices for everyday table wines.
Alek W
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:47 pm

Friday night we opened a Yatir Forest 2002. This wine is at its peak or a bit below it. The nose on this black to purple colored wine is filled with cassis, blackberry, and sweet wood notes along with a bit of dates. The mouth on this full bodied wine starts with cassis, black fruit and a complex layer of wood intermingled with fruit. The mid palate is somewhat tannic still. The finish is long with sweet wood, and hints of chocolate and tobacco. The mouth becomes much meatier as the wine opens. I would say that the wine shows itself best at the point where it transitions into the meaty phase. Once there too long the wine degrades and loses everything other than the tannin and wood. A nice wine for the 2002 vintage.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum