Reflections on Old Cookbooks

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Reflections on Old Cookbooks

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:14 pm

A fun read in Slate by Paul Collins who reflects on the charms (positive and negative) of cookbooks such as those of Vincent Price. See the article at http://www.slate.com/id/2197533/pagenum/all/
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Reflections on Old Cookbooks

Postby Shel T » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:26 pm

I should preface this by saying that we've had had a copy of the Price cookbook for years, love the prose and have done several of the recs, all savored with enjoyment.
So you probably won't be surprised that I kinda resent Collins "damned with faint praise" reportage, and what appeared to me, his smug and superior attitude to those 'ancient' and obviously 'unhealthy' dishes he sampled, that evidently no 'correct-thinking' 21st century individual in his/her PC mind would dream of consuming.
All the above a wee over-reaction...LOL, maybe but believe it to be accurate nevertheless.
I am aware that Slate and its contributors are meant to be in the vanguard of 'hipness' and Gawd bless all that sail in her/them, but stay away from my treasured Vincent Price cookbook!
Nullum gratuitum prandium
Shel T
Durable Bon Vivant

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:31 pm

Shel, Hi.....

Disagree on only one thing. Slate tries to hard to be "in" and "hip" that without realizing it they have become a form of what I consider "retro-kitsch". The living proof that the re-incarnation of Timothy Leary *& Co. really does not work!

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Shel T » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:42 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Shel, Hi.....

Disagree on only one thing. Slate tries to hard to be "in" and "hip" that without realizing it they have become a form of what I consider "retro-kitsch". The living proof that the re-incarnation of Timothy Leary *& Co. really does not work!

Best
Rogov

Geez Daniel, re-incarnation of Leary & Co...SHUDDER!
So if your premise of Slate is correct, then they are the living embodiment of reverse psychology and the arrogance that accompanies it..."we're so hip, that we're really 'unhip', and that's cool, 'cuz that means we're really really hip but you're too dumb to see it!
Nullum gratuitum prandium
Shel T
Durable Bon Vivant

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner