Yatir Forest 2001

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Yatir Forest 2001

Postby DavidW » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:54 pm

Hi all

I opened one of my two remaining bottles of the Yatir Forest 2001 over the weekend. I didn't really hold out much hope for this wine given its age now and the fact that the last couple of bottles we opened, about a year ago, were heavy with sediment and not really enjoyable. It was a surprise then that this bottle was sediment-free and drank pretty well. It feels past its peak and had a slight floury flavour on the mouth, but the fruit was good and the various elements were balanced quite nicely. A pleasant surprise - Rogov do you have a recent tasting note?

Regards to all

David
DavidW
Cellar rat

Re: Yatir Forest 2001

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:07 pm

David, Hi....

Opened three bottles of this several weeks ago. That tasting note follows...

Best
Rogov

Yatir, Yatir Forest, 2001: Dark ruby towards garnet, this medium to full-bodied blend of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon and 15% Merlot continues to show good balance between soft tannins and oak. Rich aromas and flavors of currants, wild berries and cherries integrating nicely with spicy oak and generous minerals. A luxurious and elegant wine, some bottles throwing considerable sediment but that not interfering with the drinking pleasure. Not to decant but to pour carefully! Drink now. Score 91. K (Re-tasted but not blind three times with consistent notes 22 Jul 2008)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby David Raccah » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:22 pm

Hello Daniel,

I have a bottle of Yatir 2002 - wondering if I should open it already? Could you be so kind to post your tasting notes and hints on how best to pour it, etc?

Thanks,
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:25 pm

David, Hi.....

Following is my most recent tasting note for the 2002 Yatir Forest wine. As you will see, the pouring advice is contained in the tasting note.

Best
Rogov

Yatir, Yatir Forest, 2002: Made from 100% Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, this dark garnet-toward-purple, full-bodied wine is now showing still-firm tannins, gentle and well-integrated smoky oak and sweet cedar aromas, those coming together very nicely with aromas and flavors of ripe currant and purple plum fruits as well as generous hints of chocolate and mint. Throwing sediment and worth decanting. Drink now. Score 90. K
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby David Raccah » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:31 pm

Thanks so much Daniel - I will add it to my drink now list. From the notes it sounds great - but not what I would attribute to a Cabernet. Is this a common styling for their winery? The other few wines of theirs that I have tasted are more mineral and have some terroir flavors.

Thanks again!
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:41 pm

David, Hi.....

As to the style of the wine, keep in mind that although Yatir seems to have largely escaped the "2002 Curse", the style of the wine was indeed impacted upon by that problematic vintage.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum