back from liguria

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

back from liguria

Postby Doug Z » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:24 am

as promised here are some recollections and tastes of liguria.

this is the village as seen from the hills above the town which make for beautiful hiking.

all along the hills u see lovely vineyards all basking in the mediterranean sun, as well as olive trees in abundance.

as u can see, one of the claims to fame of noli, is that good old genoan chris colombus started his long sojurn on the seas from the little port of noli, and ultimately found his way to the land of my birth, and to whom we owe the great wonder that is columbus circle on 59th street and central park west.

and this is the local wine vendor, who besides the business of selling wine, has a lovely outdoor patio where he serves his products along with wonderful little sides as apertif, (pestos, olives, breads, cheeses, salamis etc...) in the afternoons and evening.

he is from sardinia and always suggests wines from his home region.

our favorite aperitif was a cold glass of Torbato brut of Sella & Mosca, a lovely sparkler, for a warm evening.

also top class was the Cannonau di Sardegna Riserva 2005, also Sella & Mosca, which was a full bodied red, for when the evenings where cooler.

he also served us one evening something very local called Cruvin, which i found less appealing, but enjoyed the idea that the grapes where local, just over the hill in Varigotti.

during our early morning hikes into the mountains, we often stopped in local osterie for breakfasts which was usually home made cakes, focaccias, fresh coffee and breakfast wine which was a pitcher full of white frizzante which went down thirsty throats.

and finally, yes the barolo prunotto bussia 96 made it home safely and will await a nice day sometime in the next 10 years for opening.
Last edited by Doug Z on Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
Doug Z
Ultra geek

Re: back from liguria

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:31 am

Short, sweet, to the point and reflects very nicely indeed the pleasures you felt. Thanks for the sharing.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: back from liguria

Postby Birger Vejrum » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:14 am

Hi Doug,

Great photos from Italy, happy you enjoyed your stay.

11 of September I go to Italy with my wife :wink:

Ciao
Birger
Birger Vejrum
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum