The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Dumol Chardonnay

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: 2002 Dumol Chardonnay

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:53 pm

Simply put - I don't like California Chardonnays (except for an occasional aged Kistler). So, why on earth, did I yearn for one tonight? I was preparing a dinner of grilled salmon in a white wine sauce including a touch of cream and mushrooms and scallions. My "go to" wine with either mushrooms or salmon is Pinot Noir, but we had a Burgundy the night before and I wanted something different. I didn't even think I owned any Cal Chard, but there it was on the bottom rung of the rack. Joel and I started with a glass out on the patio with some grilled veggies and crusty Italian bread, and the wine was pretty tasty - none of that heaviness and oakiness I find offensive, although a ton of alcohol at 14.5%. There was a smokiness that lead to a creme brulee finish that was quite pleasant. We continued drinking the wine with the salmon, which turned out to be a good match, and thought a decent Cal Chard can be nice on occasion.
Diane
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: 2002 Dumol Chardonnay

by Saina » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:18 am

Diane (Long Island) wrote:Simply put - I don't like California Chardonnays (except for an occasional aged Kistler). So, why on earth, did I yearn for one tonight?

Thanks for the note Diane! I've been wondering about such things myself recently. About once a year I yearn for a big, extracted, spoofulated wine like a top Aussie Shiraz or some such vile creature. I don't really know why this happens every year systematically - especially as I spend most of my time trying to avoid such wines as best as I can. So.... I've no answers for you, but I do understand why you yearned for one.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:29 am

Otto,
I think you miss Diane's point, in our rush to judge all California Chardonnays, we miss the few beauties. There are chardonnays in California that are made in a style that will match seemlessly with certain foods. They are few and far between, but they do exist. We avoid all California Chardonnays at the peril of missing the gems such as the one found by Diane.
I am also an ABC person. I generally can't stand New World Chardonnay. I love white Burgundy however, and will drink it whenever I get the chance. (As an aside, I do find some of it too "spoofalated " these days.) I guess our best bet wth New World Chardonnay is to try the ones recommended in notes such as Diane's and avoid the rest. Of course, there is always pinot as the fall-back position. Be good to yourself!
Cheers!
James
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:15 pm

Otto - substitute Turley zin for your Aussie shiraz, and I'm in total agreement. I keep looking at a Turley for tonight's dinner, but there is no way that I'm serving it with a sausage and wild mushroom risotto. I will stick to my original selection of a 1998 Einaudi Barolo. We're so lucky to have choices.
Diane
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:16 pm

Diane (Long Island) wrote:Otto - substitute Turley zin for your Aussie shiraz, and I'm in total agreement. I keep looking at a Turley for tonight's dinner, but there is no way that I'm serving it with a sausage and wild mushroom risotto. I will stick to my original selection of a 1998 Einaudi Barolo. We're so lucky to have choices.

What time is dinner?
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:20 pm

James - I also love white Burgundy, including Chablis, and I stumbled across the Dumol while searching for a 2004 Boudin Fourchaume. I'm happy I did as I think the slightly creamy Dumol was a better match for the salmon.
Diane
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:24 pm

Diane (Long Island) wrote:James - I also love white Burgundy, including Chablis, and I stumbled across the Dumol while searching for a 2004 Boudin Fourchaume. I'm happy I did as I think the slightly creamy Dumol was a better match for the salmon.

That was my point. I think there are a few makers of California Chardonnay out there that make a style that is distinctly Californian, yet not too over the top. It makes a great match with oily fish like salmon and wth some chicken dishes. It's too bad there aren't more like it.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:48 pm

James, I didn't misunderstand her point; I just decided to provide a tangential but very similar experience. ;)

Diane (Long Island) wrote:Otto - substitute Turley zin for your Aussie shiraz, and I'm in total agreement. I keep looking at a Turley for tonight's dinner, but there is no way that I'm serving it with a sausage and wild mushroom risotto. I will stick to my original selection of a 1998 Einaudi Barolo. We're so lucky to have choices.

I've never tried a Turley Zin but a friend of mine is joking that he'll spring one on me unawares. :shock: I hope I survive...

The 1998 Baroli (or whatever the plural happens to be) are surprisingly open, but wouldn't it be better to wait on that anyway and open, if you don't have an older Nebbiolo, a Barbera? Or Dolcetto? Both are great with mushroom risotto.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:00 pm

Otto - I do have Barbera, but I love Barolo with a meaty mushroom risotto, and, as you said, the 98's are drinking now. I still have others, so no harm in opening one now. Besides, I won't be thinking Barolo once the weather turns real steamy.
PS - do you not care for Sangiovese with mushroom risotto? My other choice originally, was a 1998 Brunello.
Diane
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:07 pm

Diane (Long Island) wrote:Otto - I do have Barbera, but I love Barolo with a meaty mushroom risotto, and, as you said, the 98's are drinking now. I still have others, so no harm in opening one now. Besides, I won't be thinking Barolo once the weather turns real steamy.
PS - do you not care for Sangiovese with mushroom risotto? My other choice originally, was a 1998 Brunello.

Ok, I'll accept those reasons. And do let us know how the Einaudi is. For some reason, I've never really been a Sangiovese fan. I should be, because they are nicely structured, usually have fine acidity, are more red toned and berryish in their fruit rather than black, and have fine earthiness and herbaceousness. But for some mysterious reason, they still don't really appeal to me so much that I'd go out of my way to drink them. But yes, I guess it would go well with Risotto also.