duck confit

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

duck confit

Postby Jacques Levy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:39 pm

I've been using a crock-pot to make my own duck confit; I just put four frozen duck legs (moulard) in the pot, turn the heat on low and wait eight-ten hours. I notice the results are pretty good, the fat melts and envelops the legs which continue cooking slowly. I end up with a couple of jars of duck fat and four confit. Anything I should watch out for in this method beside keeping the cooking slow?
Best Regards

Jacques
Jacques Levy
Ultra geek

Re: duck confit

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:47 pm

Jacques, Hi.....

Pretty much my own system but I always use the same dedicated ovenproof clay casserole dish in order to let it get tempered by the fat. After removing the fat and confit, I simply clean the casserole with paper towelling and then put in a lining of wax paper before placing it in the freezer until I need it once again. Oh yes.....and after cooking for 4 - 5 hours to taste the fat, adding salt and pepper to taste, simply sprinkling it over and then a tablespoon of dried crushed oregano.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner