barolo prices?

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

barolo prices?

Postby Doug Z » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:53 am

Rogov and/or Birger

vacation is bellissimo

in a small village with one wine vendor and one internet point open only intermittently.

thought maybe to buy some barolo

these r local prices,

Prunotto Bussia 96, 46 euros
Prunotto Bussia 98 52 euros
Corino 99 77 euros
Pio Cesare 03, 52 euros

thats it.

ive always worried that small village prices r higher then the big city, but im not sure.

what do u think and what about TN's ?

will check back in a few days...
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
Doug Z
Ultra geek

Re: barolo prices?

Postby Birger Vejrum » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:02 pm

Doug Z wrote:
Prunotto Bussia 96, 46 euros
Prunotto Bussia 98 52 euros
Corino 99 77 euros
Pio Cesare 03, 52 euros

Hi Dough,

Prunotto "was" a great producer with the Colla brothers, before Antinori bought it in 1989, I prefer Prunotto from the old days. I find the prices reasonably and would go for the Bussia 1996.

Is it the "normal" Barolo from Pio Cesare?

Please remember to buy some Olive oil :roll: :mrgreen: Liguria is the place to buy Olive oil.

Ciao
Birger
Birger Vejrum
Ultra geek

Postby JakovD » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:42 pm

Hi to all!
I think those are real and good prices for Barolo's.
A short time ago I bought 2003 A.Gaja Barolo Dagromis for 280 NIS [~52 Euros].
It isn't one of the best and not a great vintage, so in Israel it is more pricey.
Isn't it?
PS I will apreciate if anyone sends Dagromis TN
JakovD
Wine geek

Postby Ian Sutton » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:49 pm

I'd go for the the same wine as Birger, a very good vintage and a producer who I quite like (and from experience to date), and who tends to always put out a good wine, if not always with aspirations to greatness. In what can be a field notorious for disappointment (as well as great pleasure), reliability is not a bad trait in my opinion.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:57 pm

Yaakov, Hi...

I have not yet tasted Gaja's 2003 Gromis. Hopefully in the future...

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:59 pm

Doug, Hi.....

Following are my tasting notes for the wines on your list. As to prices - seem good to me.

Best
Rogov

Prunotto, Barolo, Bussia, 1996: Dark, almost impenetrable garnet, full-bodied, with mouth-coating near-sweet tannins and quite generous wood, those showing fine balance with fruits but needing time to integrate. On the nose and palate ripe blackberries, purple plums and notes of white chocolate. Destined for elegance. Best 2010-2020. Score 92. (Re-tasted 17 Apr 2006)

Prunotto, Barolo, Bussia, 1998: Elegance and complexity packed into a full bodied, well balanced wine. Look for increasing complexity as the wine develops in the glass, at first revealing plums and wild berries, later opening to show red currants, herbs and hints of anise. Best 2004 – 2014. Score 92.(Tasted 15 Apr 2002)

Corino, Barolo, 1999: A nice wine but one that stands in the shadow of the far, far more intriguing single vineyard wines (Vigneto Rocche, Vigneto Roncaglie, Vigneto Arborina, Viana Giachini). But to everything there is an "upside", for whereas those wines will not attain their peak until 2010 or later, this one is approachable and enjoyable now. Medium- to full-bodied, with soft tannins and spicy wood integrating nicely and showing appealing red and black berries, red plums and spicy overtones, all lingering nicely on the palate. Drink now-2014. Score 88. (Tasted twice with consistent notes 8 Feb 2004)

Pio Cesare, Barolo, 2003: Dark garnet towards royal purple, full-bodied with firm tannins and generous oak, those in fine balance with fruits and acidity. On the nose and palate an array of blackberry, black cherry and plum fruits, those set off nicely by the oak and generous hints of earthy-minerals. Long and generous. Best from 2010. Score 92. (Tasted 16 Feb 2008)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Doug Z » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:19 am

thank you gentlemen.

problem with buying olive oil is the restriction on liquids in carry ons.

cant fill up my suitcase with just bottles of wine and oil...where do i put my clothes?
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
Doug Z
Ultra geek

Postby Ehud W » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:25 am

Doug Z wrote:cant fill up my suitcase with just bottles of wine and oil...where do i put my clothes?

Well, Doug, limit yourself to one suit and carry it in the hand luggage :lol:
In the old days, when bottles were allowed to carry by hand, it used to be the other way around ...

BTW, I checked the prices in the Wine-Searcher.com and they are quite attractive.
Ehud
Ehud W
Ultra geek

Postby Doug Z » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:04 am

decided to go for the prunotto 96 as suggested. wrapped in bubble wrap, please make it home safely...!

will post pics and impressions and wines tasted when i get back.

2 more days .....sigh.
Doug Z
Ultra geek

Postby Birger Vejrum » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:43 am

Doug Z wrote:decided to go for the prunotto 96 as suggested. wrapped in bubble wrap, please make it home safely...!

will post pics and impressions and wines tasted when i get back.

2 more days .....sigh.
Hi Doug,

Well done, looking forward to see your TN and pics.

Ciao
Birger
Birger Vejrum
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum