WTN: Recanati Special Reserve, 2005 (K)

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN: Recanati Special Reserve, 2005 (K)

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:33 am

Life can be amusing. My first phone call of the morning was at 09:30 and was from a junior reporter at one of the local newspapers. The question was asked and I nearly burst out in laughter. "Curious One" of our older forum may no longer be with us but his/her soul lives on, for the inquiry was about why I did not attend the last night's unveiling of Recanati's 2005 Special Reserve.

Quite simple – the unveiling party was held at the home of Lenny Recanati. All of which is just fine because Lenny, the chairman of the board of the winery, is a very pleasant man and has a reputation for being a gracious host and I am certain that the evening event was a most pleasant one. My problems - and entirely mine perhaps – are several fold.

(1) I attend such events when and only when I can learn something and/or do serious tastings. To attend an unveiling held in a garden and surrounded by the aromas of flowers, grass and food, no matter how lovely that may be, does not allow for serious tasting. Such can make for great fun, but truth be told I do not attend such events for fun. "Fun" is something I reserve for my private time. As much as they may offer pleasure, tastings are work.

(2) I have a personal policy of not visiting the homes of winery executives. Accepting such personal hospitality, no matter how well intended, can indeed impact on one's objectivity.

(3) I had already tasted this wine three times in the past – first as components from barrels, twice from the barrels, and once in an advance tasting. And, to make things even "nicer", yesterday I received a bottle of the wine for tasting blind in my own tasting room. That tasting was done this morning and my updated tasting note follows. Along with that, my compliments to Lewis Pasco who was the winemaker responsible for this wine.

Oh yes...As much as I am all in favor of those just starting on their way in journalism, I suggested to the reporter in question that on the next occasion she phoned me it would be a good thing for her to have at least one intelligent question to ask.

Best
Rogov

Recanati, Special Reserve, 2005: Full-bodied, dark garnet towards royal-purple, with once firm tannins now integrating nicely with spicy and vanilla-rich wood. Aged in barriques for 19 months, this blend of 84% Cabernet Sauvignon and 16% Merlot, all from the Upper Galilee, shows fine balance and structure. On first attack blackcurrant, blackberry and a hint of anise, those followed by lightly toasted, near-sweet cedar and oak along with an appealing hint of black licorice. Approachable and enjoyable now but best 2009-2014. NIS 180 (about US$ 50) Score 93. K (Re-tasted 14 Aug 2008)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: WTN: Recanati Special Reserve, 2005 (K)

Postby Menachem S » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:09 am

2 questions (on the wine of course, not your social schedule):

1. is a component missing, or are the numbers wrong? 98% is fine for 24K gold, but not for wine.

2. Is it just me, or is that a HUGE price increase? The wine sounds great, but it was $31 (in the US) for 2004, and I believe you can still get the 2004 for about that much on the web.

Thoughts?
Menachem S
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:14 am

Menachem, Hi.....

Nothing missing...... my fingers simply hit the wrong key. I have made the correction above.

As to price increases, I cannot speak to prices in the USA but within Israel the release price of the 2004 wine was NIS 150. At NIS The release price NIS 180 of the 2005 indicates a rise of 20%.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Menachem S » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:58 pm

20% even seems like a lot, and I am looking at 60% in USD.

Makes you wonder (unless they leave the import price lower) what they expect from sales - maybe yield was down?

Any idea when this will be released (US and/or Locally)?

Thanks
Menachem S
Wine guru

Postby Jonathan K » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:17 pm

Really like the 2004. I'm sure the 2005 is wonderful. $50 U.S. is too much. I bought the 2004 in the low 30's and would be glad to get a case of the 2005 at that price. Sadly, I will likely miss out on this one altogether, unless the US pricing turns out to be lower.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:59 pm

Menachem S wrote:Any idea when this will be released (US and/or Locally)?

Menachem, Hi....

The wine is making its way to stores in Israel as I write. Sorry, but do not know the release plans for the USA.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Isi M » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:34 am

Less than 1 year ago this wine could be puchased from the winery as a future at 100 nis.
Isi M
Wine guru

Postby Ehud W » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:36 am

I remember tasting the RSR 2005 a few times, before and after bottling, in some cases it was with forumites, in a visit to Recanati. In all times I thought it is their best effort so far (2000-2005), and even wrote about it in the "old" board.

It was offered to members in futures for NIS 100, and that was mentioned here many-many times. Whoever liked the reviews and the price, and purchased it in futures, saved a lot and got a great wine!
Ehud
Ehud W
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum