Shopping Malls: Nouveau Vulgarity?

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Shopping Malls: Nouveau Vulgarity?

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:53 am

Including food and fashions, sporting goods and upswing restaurant, including a $400 sushi tasting menu. In Forbes Online – a list (with photographs) of what some consider the 10 most prestigious shopping malls in the world. http://www.forbes.com/style/2008/08/01/ ... yahoofront

The malls go from Melbourne to Tokyo and from Manhattan to Las Vegas. Why do each and every one of these seem to very, very nouveau-vulgar to me?

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Shopping Malls: Nouveau Vulgarity?

Postby Ian Sutton » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:15 pm

Can't abide the places

I presume the Melbourne one is the one with the shot tower in (classy), but which they've now squeezed more shop space in so it's much more obscured. The refit about 5 years ago tried to make it look 'Urban' - don't ask a designer to do Urban :roll: and why would you want to make soemthing look dark, run-down and sleazy anyway :?

Now give me a nice arcade any time

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:53 pm

In my travels I have found only two shopping malls that I enjoyed..... the first in Monte Carlo (on the Rue des Beaux Artes, between the Hotel de Paris and the Hotel Hermitage), a place that boasts shops so expensive that all most mortals can do is admire them; and the second, the Peachtree Mall in Atlanta, one of the few malls I have found in which good taste reigns supreme.

As far as all of the others into which I have ventured from Tel Aviv to San Francisco and from Greenland to the Buenos Aires, no thank you!

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Shlomo R » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:17 am

Ian Sutton wrote:Can't abide the places

I presume the Melbourne one is the one with the shot tower in (classy), but which they've now squeezed more shop space in so it's much more obscured. The refit about 5 years ago tried to make it look 'Urban' - don't ask a designer to do Urban :roll: and why would you want to make soemthing look dark, run-down and sleazy anyway :?

Now give me a nice arcade any time

regards

Ian

I saw the mall in Melbourne with the shot tower about 16 years ago, and thought it was rather nice.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Postby Matilda L » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:29 am

Malls seem to be the way shopping is going: old streets of shops are falling into disuse; retailers are gathering in the malls where the landlord keeps things in good repair and they are guaranteed a crowd of passing shoppers, who will pass and shop each day. In Australia, lots of the big shopping malls are owned by the same firms, which somehow leads to each mall having the same combination of shops. True variety is becoming a rarity.

Matilda
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby Shel T » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:46 pm

JUst an observation, and I guess a fairly obvious one, shops/shopping/brand names and branding in general, have become so international, that with rare exceptions, if you were to be kidnapped, blindfolded and transported to a shopping mall somewhere in the world and had your blindfold removed, LOL i defy you to tell us where in the world you are!
Nullum gratuitum prandium
Shel T
Durable Bon Vivant

Postby Stuart Yaniger » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:24 pm

Did you shop at the Ferry Building in SF? It's a tacky, nouveau-riche, yuppified horror. God help me, I love the place.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
Stuart Yaniger
Stud Muffin

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner