The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Fitou, a BC Zin, and a Big BC Red

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Fitou, a BC Zin, and a Big BC Red

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:03 am

2003 Iniskillin Bear Cub Vineyard Zinfandel – BCs first Zin. Medium colour, blueberry nose, decent concentration, not much tannin, made for early drinking and a bit overpriced.

2004 Le Douze Fitou – made by a group of cooperating winemakers in the South of France, this wine showed medium colour, bright fruit in the nose, slightly hot at 14%, and a nice mouth feel with good length. Drinking now and for about 3 years I’d think. Nice cherry notes.

2001 Black Hills Nota Bene – started out well, a big sweet plum and currant nose, weighty presence in the mouth, with a slightly bitter note in the finish which was at first interesting but eventually became a bit tedious. Good length. This is teetering on the brink of readiness and is quite drinkable now.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Fitou, a BC Zin, and a Big BC Red

by Jenise » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:13 am

You call the Inniskillin overpriced without mentioning the price. Last I bought a bottle (earlier vintage, though I couldn't tell you now which one) it was $20-22, which I considered fair value--it was a good quality red wine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:20 pm

$29 Can.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:16 pm

Thanks Bill. My wife and I leave Monday (July 10) for two weeks in Vancouver. Nota Bene is already on my "must try" wine list, but I will look out for the Zin.