Carmel Takes A Giant Step Forward

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Carmel Takes A Giant Step Forward

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:07 pm

One day in the not-too-distant future a sharp PhD candidate will write a thesis about the three-sided relationship between psychology, winemaking and the marketing of wine and a good starting point for that thesis might be the recent release of the 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot wine in Carmel's Private Collection Series.

Few question but that the wines in this series have risen in quality during recent years, to the point where one might say the Carmel revolution is now reaching their mid-quality, mass market series. The wines in the Private Collection series were never been destined for the most sophisticated wine lovers, but at their best they did provide good drinking for many. If two problems remained with the series the first was that the wines destined for the USA and UK markets were mevushal and thus quite often lost their charm within six months after release. The other problem was one of image, many people recalling the not at all enviable quality of wines released as recently as the 1990s and even the first years of this still young century.

As revealed by the just released wine (for which my tasting note follows) – the times they are continuing to change. First of all, in the way of quality – from the 2007 vintage and on, none of the wines in this series will be mevushal. Not those destined for sale in Israel and not those destined for sale abroad. Even the rear label has changed, providing more useful information, that including the suggestion that this wine be chilled in the refrigerator for 20 – 30 minutes to bring it to about 16 degrees Celsius. I concur with Carmel that with wines of this nature that is a close to ideal serving temperature in Israeli climate.

Second, with the introduction of a new, well designed and far more elegant label, Carmel is making its bow to the psychology of branding and thus striving to overcome whatever image problems this series has had. (I should be receiving an image of that label in the next day or two and will post that on receipt).

For those new to our forum and to Israeli wines, the top level series of Carmel are their often notably excellent Limited Edition; Single Vineyard Series; and Regional (Appellation) Series, many of which consistently earn scores of 90 or higher. Those are followed by Private Collection, Selected (Called Vineyards in the USA) and by Young Selected and Vino.

One of these days I will reveal a very amusing anecdote that relates to both the new Private Collection labels and the Vino red wine, that reflecting not at all on Carmel but on several of my colleagues. If I were to tell that story now, the CEO of Carmel would probably put out a contract on me and at least two of my colleagues would be glad to break my legs, neck or other parts just for the pleasure of it.

As to the newly released wine, my tasting note follows.

Best
Rogov

Carmel, Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot, 2007: A blend of 50% each Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, aged partly in stainless steel and partly in French and American oak. Medium- to full-bodied, with soft tannins and a gentle spicy wood influence, opening in the glass to show black and red berries and notes of purple plums on a background that hints of vanilla and cinnamon. Drink now-2010. Suggested retail price NIS 50. (About US$ 14) Score 87. K (Tasted 2 Aug 2008)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

The New Private Collection Label

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:19 am

As promised....
Carmel-New Label.JPG
(305.7 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Carmel Takes A Giant Step Forward

Postby Yariv H » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:14 am

I have been saying that for the last two years that this series is getting much better, both in white and red, soon will compete with Gamla....
Yariv H
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:05 am

Yariv H wrote:I have been saying that for the last two years that this series is getting much better, both in white and red, soon will compete with Gamla....

A very apt comparison......we are in full agreement.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Avi Hein » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:42 pm

It's great to see great marketing at Carmel and in the Israeli wine world in general -- not seen often enough, particularly when dealing with the international/abroad scene. And I am also glad that the "lower" series are getting attention. Mass market and value wines definitely ought not to be ignored and need attention if the Israeli wine scene is going to get recognized abroad (which it's starting but reading the comments on yesterday's WLTV episode, we shouldn't get too cocky b/c most of the wine world still hasn't had an Israeli wine).
It's Israeli Wine 2.0 - HaKerem: The Israeli Wine Blog - http://www.israeli-wine.org
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/avihein - @avihein & http://www.twitter.com/israelwines - @israelwines
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/israelwine
Avi Hein
Ultra geek

Re Private Collection: TNR for 2006

Postby Alek W » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:01 am

Rogov hi,

do you have TNs for 2006 Merlot and Shiraz wines in Private Collection series?

Thanks,

Alek.
Alek W
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:11 pm

Alek, Hi

Following is my tasting note for the 2006 Merlot in the Private Collection Series. I have not tasted the Shiraz and am now checking on how I missed that one.

Best
Rogov

Carmel, Merlot, Private Collection, 2006: Dark ruby towards garnet, medium to full-bodied, with soft mouth-coating tannins and spicy wood. Shows blackberry, cassis and herbal aromas and flavors, but lacks depth or complexity. Drink now. Score 84.K
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum