The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Fort Mason Pinot tasting and the dead skunk in the middle of the road

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Fort Mason Pinot tasting and the dead skunk in the middle of the road

by GeoCWeyer » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:10 pm

I was fortunate enough to attend the Sunday June 26th tasting. It was the first large one grape event I have attended. After the first hour and a half my palate was completely fried.

I did encounter 4 different wines that I couldn't even get to my lips. The skunky odor was so strong and overpowering These wines weren't corked and it wasn't brett. I have never encountered this before. What causes it? One winemaker I spoke with a few days later told me that it comes from over-ripe fruit with split skins and poor winemaking.

I did find a few little gems. I placed my self on their mailing lists and promptly forget which ones they were. I do recall one was Windy Oakes. I loved their Reserve Pinot.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: Fort Mason Pinot tasting and the dead skunk in the middle of the road

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:26 pm

Interesting. In my own little world of taste I find that the more "repulsive" the nose of the Pinot Noir is, the more promising the taste experience. But, then again, you should see (or rather smell) some of the cheeses I eat.