The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NYT and SF Chron on Bottle Shock

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Vandegriff

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:33 am

Trinidad, CA

NYT and SF Chron on Bottle Shock

by Jim Vandegriff » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:35 pm

Last edited by Jim Vandegriff on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in Trinidad, CA, by the sea
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: NYT on Bottle Shock

by Thomas » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:33 pm

AO Scott called it reasonably close historically. In Decanter Magazine, Steven Spurrier said the exact opposite about the movie.

Who's account is accurate? The suspense is killing me.
Last edited by Thomas on Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Greg Piatigorski

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:54 pm

San Ramon, CA

Re: NYT and SF Chron on Bottle Shock

by Greg Piatigorski » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:07 am

From what I read, its a typical Hollywood script with not much of a real story to tell. I'll side with Spurrier and other wnemakers who say the story is based on real events but veers off too much.

I'll rent it when it gets there, no way I am spending time and money on seeing this in a movie theater.
====================
Greg P.
no avatar
User

Nigel Groundwater

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:08 pm

London, UK

by Nigel Groundwater » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:14 am

Based on what I have read Bottle Shock is loosely based on the lead up to, the event itself [The Judgement of Paris US v France winetasting] and its aftermath.

However key figures like winemakers and some of the key the wines themselves are missing or overlooked [Chateau Montelena Chardonnay is the focus] which devalues the film for those looking for a dramatisation of the entire event.

In addition to multiple omissions, the gratuitous additions further distance it from the facts. And while Alan Rickman's caricature of Steven Spurrier is amusing it is nothing like the man himself. The trailer demonstrates this quite well http://bottleshockthemovie.com/ .

Nevertheless I will watch and doubtless enjoy it when it comes out on DVD but without any expectation of learning more about the reality of that momentous [in wine terms] event. For that George Taber's book is the key resource.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:42 am

I'll probably watch on Netflix, but told friend last night I'd skip in theaters, out of protest of clumsy stealth marketing campaign (I should explain/complain to producers, will look for website)
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:37 pm

As I wrote in another time and another place: "That the film reconstructs what was an important and interesting event will be denied by none. As a film, however, the subject seems to hold about as much potential fascination and drama as watching a re-enactment of the passage of the 1922 leash laws in Sioux City, Iowa. I may be wrong but personally I'm planning on giving this one a miss until it appears on late-nite television".

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:30 pm

no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:04 pm

Dave, Hi.....

Apologies for disagreeing, but the one true wine film was Babette's Feast. Although most often seen as a "food film", the wines served are quite enough to have made this the feast par excellence for wine lovers.

Veuve Cliquot, Brut Champagne, En Magnum, 1860
Garvey, Amontillado, 1850
Clos de Vougeot, 1845
Hine, Vintage Cognac, 1822

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

by David Glasser » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:14 pm

My understanding is that there is another movie, based on George Taber's book Judgment of Paris, that has yet to be released. Presumably this other movie optioned the book and should be more accurate. Whether it will be better or not, I have no idea...
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:53 am

Well, it happened - this morning and in the comfort of my own living room, I saw "Bottle Shock". My tasting note follows.

Best
Rogov

Bottle Shock, 2008: Lovely scenery but distinctly light-weight, with a pronounced hint of shmaltz on the nose and not very much relationship on the palate or the memory to the variety or events portrayed. Lovely scenery, but wanders more than a bit too far afield from realities. Portrays a blind tasting but it doesn't help much that everyone knows in advance who and what is going to "win". Lacks depth, breadth or length. See now if at all. Score 74.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:33 am

Great tasting note, uh....movie review. I'll wait to TIVO it and watch it some evening when there is nothing else on TV. Since I recently read Judgement at Paris, there is no need for me to "learn" of these events.
Diane
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:21 pm

The subject of Bottle Shock came up at lunch with a group of locals yesterday and everyone seemed to be comfortable by changing the subject. :(
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:01 pm

Daniel, the lovely scenery you admired was in Sonoma.

They changed part of Sonoma Plaza to Paris, made the Ledson into a Parisian bistro (with the help of a Deux Chevaux and a stately old Citroen, and the old heritage buildings around the Plaza. Many of the scenes were also shot on the Kunde vineyards grounds and up through the Sonoma Valley.

I think it is amusing that, through the magic of Hollywood and constrained by a limited budget, they used Sonoma as a location for both Napa and Paris. :D

Had they used our wines, it would have been even more delightful. :twisted:

Hadn't planned to see the movie, but now I probably will, after learning of the locations. Of course, I'll have the advantage of not having to pretend to pay attention to anything but the lovely scenery. 8)
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:19 pm

Next time I am in northern California, I really must get up to Sonoma.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:59 pm

Last night I saw Bottle Shock on the plane from São Paulo to Newark and can only say that this was decidedly one of the worst movies I have ever had the misfortune of watching. Good thing I was tied to my seat, otherwise I might have jumped.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.