Culinary Poll #003: Watching The Waistline

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Anyone On A Diet?

I am currently overweight and should be but am not on a weight-loss diet
38%
I am currently overweight and am on a weight-loss diet
46%
I am at or near my ideal weight and am not on a weight-loss or weight-gain diet
15%
I am at or near my ideal weight and am on a weight-loss or weight-gain diet
No votes
I am under my ideal weight but not on a weight-gain diet
No votes
I am under my ideal weight and on a weight-gain diet
No votes

Total votes : 13

Culinary Poll #003: Watching The Waistline

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:53 am

I am convinced that the most popular sport in the USA is neither football, basketball or baseball. The most popular American sports are talking about obesity and partaking in diets. So….. where do we stand on the issue of our own body weight (body mass or other related issues)

Comments about diets in general, about specific diets that you love or hate, and about today's obsession with obesity are most heartily invited.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Culinary Poll #003: Watching The Waistline

Postby Robin Garr » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:06 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:I am convinced that the most popular sport in the USA is neither football, basketball or baseball. The most popular American sports are talking about obesity and partaking in diets. So….. where do we stand on the issue of our own body weight (body mass or other related issues)

Comments about diets in general, about specific diets that you love or hate, and about today's obsession with obesity are most heartily invited.

With the side note that even before you guys joined our party (and we're so glad you're here!) this has never been a US-only forum but has a lot of Canadians and a fair share of folks from Europe, Down Under and elsewhere ...

As a professional foodie, I'm usually guilty of being at least moderately overweight, and rely on some degree of will power and relatively minimal exercise (mostly walking) to avoid crossing the line from "well-fed" into "obese."

In recent months, however, I've been on an effective weight-loss program, but I can't really recommend it. In March I had to have a fairly serious (though not life-threatening) operation, and in the aftermath, getting my hormone system re-regulated, I went through a period wherein I had almost no appetite at all.

A good, solid 25 to 30 pounds practically fell off me in less than a month!

Do you think I might patent this? :)

Naturally, too much of the weight loss was muscle mass, but now, having this unsought advantage, I'm making some effort to watch portions more and spend a little more time exercising, hoping to maintain my new weight point but in a healthy way.

Anyone care to try this approach? ;)
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Doug Z » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:26 am

im your classic always been skinny as a youngster and now developed a belly through middle age.

and i hate it. and i cant diet, just cant.

but i can run.

and so ive been in training for the nyc marathon nov 2 2008.

since starting my schedule back on jan 1. ive lost 7 kg. now at 78 and my original goal was 75 on race day but maybe i can get it down abit more.

(for those of u non metric....tough luck...join the rest of the world.)
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
Doug Z
Ultra geek

Postby Robin Garr » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:34 am

Doug Z wrote:(for those of u non metric....tough luck...join the rest of the world.)

Hey! It's not our fault! It was Ronald Reagan did that ... he thought metric was communistic. :oops:
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Stuart Yaniger » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:31 pm

Every kid where I grew up knew there were 28 grams in a lid... errr.... an ounce. So much for Reagan.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
Stuart Yaniger
Stud Muffin

Postby Bill Spohn » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:24 pm

Doug Z wrote:(for those of u non metric....tough luck...join the rest of the world.)

I agree. There are only a few backward countries that cling to non-metric systems. Liberia, Burma, and what is that obstreperous one just below me on the map....oh yeah, the USA.
Bill Spohn
He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Postby EY Han » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:02 pm

I just realized that I'm kind of disappointed in the lack of the option to "add options" in Polls like there used to be at Strat's Place. My doctor warns me that I am nearing being overweight, and I think I probably should be on a weight-loss diet but I'm not.

- E.Y.
EY Han
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:04 am

EY Han wrote:I just realized that I'm kind of disappointed in the lack of the option to "add options" in Polls like there used to be at Strat's Place. My doctor warns me that I am nearing being overweight, and I think I probably should be on a weight-loss diet but I'm not.

- E.Y.

Well, if you tell Rogov which option you'd like to see, he can edit the poll to include that. But usually, it's best for pollers to include an "other" option. What doesn't fit the norm often generates good discussion.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:27 am

Thanks for that tip Jenise. In the future I shall add an option for "Others - Please Specify" or, if requested, will add the option you mention.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:51 am

You guys think you have troubles? Pity me, for it is one thing to be a wine critic (you can spit to avoid getting drunk) but I'm also a restaurant critic and in that I dine out anywhere from 5 - 8 times weekly. And, to make life worse, I enjoy cooking!

I have never in my life been underweight but I suppose I've been fairly fortunate in the genetics department, having a rapid rate of metabolism and that helps somewhat. What does happen is that every 4 - 5 years or so I realize that I am becoming a bit more overweight than I want to be. The thought of a diet seems out of my realm but my solution is quite simple - when at or near my ideal weight, I eat exactly one-half of every portion that is served and, when I feel the need to lose several (or more) kilos, I limit myself to one-third of those portions. The only time that truly hurts (and when I sometimes break my own rules) is when dining at a truly fabulous restaurant on dishes so good that leaving them unfinished would be a sin.

As to rationalization - I am particularly fond of recent research that shows that after the age of 50 one does well to be at least a little bit overweight. I am purposely not going to do anything to check the validity of that research!

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Charlie Dawg » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:36 pm

The last 4 years, since the baby was born, number 5 in the family, life really got crazy, I work hours that are not normal, I eat foods that are not normal, I eat at the times that are not normal, I gain tons of weight. Even went to talk to doctor. But he basicaly gave up on me after listening about my shedule. So I do want to loose weight, just don't know how. :(
You are what you eat.
Charlie Dawg
Ultra geek

Postby Robin Garr » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:You guys think you have troubles? Pity me, for it is one thing to be a wine critic (you can spit to avoid getting drunk) but I'm also a restaurant critic and in that I dine out anywhere from 5 - 8 times weekly. And, to make life worse, I enjoy cooking!

Good grief! It's as if I am looking in a mirror!
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Matilda L » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:00 am

Middle age spread has caught up with me and I could do with using ten kilos or more. I'm trying to be good about going for a walk each day or spending some time on the exercise bike. I just recently gave up working in the city for a big organisation, and now that I'm not working next door to a selection of the best coffee shops in town I might lose a bit without trying too hard.

Matilda
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby MarkC » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:36 am

Growing up and into my mid-thirties I was thin and could eat whatever I wanted. I suppose people like me fall the hardest, such that now in my mid-forties I've grown quite overweight. I'm on a low carb diet/exercise program and have lost over five kilos, have about another ten to go. The hardest part is realizing that, somewhat like an alcoholic, you'll always be a "recovering fatty" who has to take it one day at a time.

More interesting than that is observing how the whole diet thing has effected restaurant economics. I'm convinced that the reason we have so many steak houses, Japanese restaurants and bistros heavy on the salads and vegetables is because of dieting customers. These days if a restaurant doesn't cater heavily to the low carb crowd, it'll have difficulty staying in business.
MarkC
Wine geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner