Lili winery

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Lili winery

Postby Gamliel K » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:48 pm

Dear Rogov,

Last night a frined from Israel stopped by for a drink, and he brought along a bottle of wine from an Israeli winery, Lili, that I've never heard of before. The wine is now sitting in my cellar, and will be worked into my next approprate blind tasting.

Do you have any information on the Lili Winery, which, according to the bottle, is located somewhere in the Galil? Also do you have a tasting note on their 2005 Limited Edition Cabernet?

Thanks,
Gamliel

P.S. Do you also have a tasting note for Chateau Labegorce, Margaux, 2001, Kosher Edition
Gamliel K
Ultra geek

Re: Lili winery

Postby Alek W » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:25 pm

Dear Gamliel,

here is what Rogov siad about the winery in question on the old forum:

"Lili is actually a separate label produced by the Assaf Winery and there is no difference whatever between the wines under either label. Founded in 2004 by Assaf Kedem (formerly a partner in the Bazelet Hagolan Winery) and located in the village of Kidmat Tzvi on the Golan Heights, the winery has its own vineyards containing Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Shiraz, Zinfandel, Pinotage and Sauvignon Blanc grapes. Production from the 2004 vintage was 11,000 bottles and from 2006, 22,000 bottles. The winery will be listed in my 2008 guide as one Israel's up-and-coming wineries".

Alek.
Alek W
Ultra geek

Postby Gary J » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:43 pm

So interesting. We just recently referred to Assaf winery when discussing Bazalet HaGolan.

I wonder though, is the Lili wine kosher?

If it is, maybe that explains the Lili label for Assaf Kedem. I understand that Assaf wines are not kosher, but maybe he is making a 2nd label that IS in fact kosher...
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
Gary J
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:12 pm

Gamliel, Hi......

Before I make some phone calls (and it seems I may well have to do so), please check and see if the Lili wine carries a kashrut certificate and let me know. If so, please also post all of the relevant information on the label.

As to the second wine about which you ask, my most recent tasting note follows.

Best
Rogov

Chateau Labegorce, Margaux, 2001 (Kosher Edition): Medium bodied, with soft, barely felt tannins and a few berry and plum fruits on an earthy-herbaceous background. Lacking length but a good quaffer and at its best with food. Drink now-2008. Score 88.K (Re-tasted 21 May 2005)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Josh Patt » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:37 pm

I had a bottle of their 2004 Cabernet and it was quite good.

I'm sure that it had kosher supervision, though I don't remember whose.

Josh
Josh Patt
Ultra geek

Postby Gamliel K » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:12 am

Alek, Rogov, Josh,

Thank you all for the information. Indeed the wine is kosher and non-mevushal, but I don't remember any more details off the top of my head. I do recall that the lable was most uninformative, only mentioning in small print that the winery was in the Galil, and it gave no information about either vinification or vitaculture. I plan to include the bottle in a tasting later in the month and will post my tasting notes then.

Thanks again,
Gamliel
Gamliel K
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:11 pm

Gamliel and Josh, Hi....

I will follow up on this with inquiries on Sunday.*

Best
Rogov

*For those not in the know, Friday night and Saturday are the Sabbath for Jews in Israel and it is considered impolite, even in the case of non-observant acquaintances, to make any but emergency telephone calls. As to Sunday - believe it or not a "real day" here in Israel.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:06 am

Followed up and now with just a bit of steam coming out of my ears, have posted some reactions at viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17466

Gamliel, .... Will look forward to your tasting note on the wine in question.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum