Rose Wines in the Spectator: Including One from Israel

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Rose Wines in the Spectator: Including One from Israel

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:56 pm

The Wine Spectator on line lists a collection of 15 recommended rose wines, and Israel's Galil Mountain 2007 Rose makes it to the list. Subscribers can see the article at http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Featu ... 07,00.html . The spectator gives the wine 85 points. As my own tasting note below shows, I was a bit more generous.

Best
Rogov

Galil Mountain, Rosé, 2007: A blend of 82% Sangiovese, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon and 8% Barbera. Baby-blanket pink in color with generous raspberry and cherry fruits along with hints of blueberries. Crisp and refreshing. Drink now. Score 87. K
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Rose Wines in the Spectator: Including One from Israel

Postby Ehud W » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:06 am

Galil Mountains Rose is not bad, but I tend towards WS scoring.
Having said that, I wish WS could include in its report Agur's Rose 2007, a much better Israeli Rose to my taste! Shuki Yashuv, with the help of the talented Wine Consultant Itay Lahat (former winemaker in Barkan), managed to upgrade the standard "easy to drink" Rose to a more complex wine. Very enjoyable but hard to put hands on.
Ehud
Ehud W
Ultra geek

Postby JakovD » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:15 pm

Ehud W wrote:Galil Mountains Rose is not bad, but I tend towards WS scoring.
Having said that, I wish WS could include in its report Agur's Rose 2007, a much better Israeli Rose to my taste! Shuki Yashuv, with the help of the talented Wine Consultant Itay Lahat (former winemaker in Barkan), managed to upgrade the standard "easy to drink" Rose to a more complex wine. Very enjoyable but hard to put hands on.

Ehud,Hi!
Tell me please what is the price of Agur's Rose 2007?
I bought today Rose of Galil for 35 NIS?[~10$].
JakovD
Wine geek

Postby Lior Yogev » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:55 am

Jakov Hi,

I remember seeing it for something like 55NIS, if I'm not mistaken.

Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby JakovD » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:42 am

Lior Yogev wrote:Jakov Hi,

I remember seeing it for something like 55NIS, if I'm not mistaken.

Lior.

Thank U very much,Lior
Jakov
JakovD
Wine geek

Postby Ilan T » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:11 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:The Wine Spectator on line lists a collection of 15 recommended rose wines, and Israel's Galil Mountain 2007 Rose makes it to the list. Subscribers can see the article at http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Featu ... 07,00.html . The spectator gives the wine 85 points. As my own tasting note below shows, I was a bit more generous.

Regardless of the score, I see it as a huge sign of progress (maybe even bigger than the feature article a few months ago, but that's debatable) that a publication like Wine Spectator features an Israeli wine when not doing a special article about Israel or Jewish holidays. I hope to see more in future issues.
@winemakerguy
Ilan T
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum