Zen & Contour

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Zen & Contour

Postby Menach N » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:27 pm

Rogov hi
i just saw in a shop a Rose wine called Zen ro maybe Zan (from Isrl) anyway i never saw it before and was wondering if you had tasted before, i believe the vintage was 2006
right next to it i also saw a new wine from Herzog, Contour NV i think its a semi dry white wine, also here please a note
:lol:
Thank you
Menach
Menach N
Ultra geek

Re: Zen & Contour

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:08 am

Menach, Hi...

Menach, Hi…..

Royal Wines produces two Contour wines, the first under the Weinstock label and the second under the Baron Herzog label as a sort of match to their Jeunesse. The Contour wines are blends of Chardonnay and Chenin Blanc and are entry level wines semi-dry towards sweet and very fruit forward. I have not tasted the most recent releases but in the past have found these wines to be of interest primarily to not-at-all sophisticated drinkers.

As to "Zen", not one that I've encountered. Perhaps you have some details on the winery/producer?

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Stuart Yaniger » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:01 am

That's a change. Contour used to be 100% Chenin, and from a particularly favorable spot in Clarksburg. The '98 might be the best California Chenin I've ever tasted. I'm disappointed that they've cheapened the product.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
Stuart Yaniger
Stud Muffin

Postby Menach N » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:19 pm

Thanks Rogov,
regarding the Zen ill go back to the store and get some more info on it or maybe even buy it
Regards
Menach
Menach N
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:55 pm

Menach N wrote:...regarding the Zen ill go back to the store and get some more info on it or maybe even buy it

Menach, Hi....

In all good humor, good luck and godspeed.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Menach N » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:42 pm

Rogov hi,
spoke to the shop keeper and.. first of all its called Zan not zen second its a semi sweet blush not exactly the typical rose',(which is why i kind of passed and did not buy it) its made by Noa Winery Kiryat Arba, its made from shiraz/syrah grapes, with a label of a caricature of some building in Tal Aviv (for some marketing thing)
the shop keeper tells me it reminds him of a white zinfandel wine and its overall a prittie wine

hope this helps

Thanks again
Best...
Menach
Menach N
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:58 pm

Menach, Hi.....

Ah......one of the labels of the Hevron Heights Winery. Now that I know, I will be able to hunt for the wine. First is to see if it is for sale within Israel. Alas, I cannot phone this particular winery as they choose not to talk with me. I will though check at various stores.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Menach N » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:28 pm

Thanks
if it helps i saw "..23 or 24 Begin street.." written on the side of the label. :D
good luck :lol:
cisentiamo
Menach
Menach N
Ultra geek

Postby Menach N » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:37 pm

Rogov hi
i was wondering if you ever mannaged to taste this Zan wine?
pls & Thnx
Ciao
Menach
Menach N
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:46 pm

Menach,Hi.....

Have not and as of this moment I cannot locate it anywhere. Perhaps in the future.....

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Menach N » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:57 pm

its okei, Thank you !
regards
Menach
Menach N
Ultra geek

Postby Jaicky T » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:57 pm

This seems to have arrived in the US. Skyview is offering the following, all at $9.95:

Emerald Riesling
Merlot Argaman
Shira Rose
Jaicky T
Ultra geek

Postby Bob Henrick » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:51 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Menach, Hi...

Menach, Hi…..

The Contour wines are blends of Chardonnay and Chenin Blanc and are entry level wines semi-dry towards sweet and very fruit forward. I have not tasted the most recent releases but in the past have found these wines to be of interest primarily to not-at-all sophisticated drinkers.

Best
Rogov

Daniel, like Stuart I have had the Weinstock many many times and it was always 100% chenin. I suspect the source of the grapes is the same as where Dry Creek Vineyards and Vinum gets theirs. decent chenin they are as was the Weinstock. If they are now blending chardonnay in with the chenin I will never buy another.
Bob Henrick
Bob Henrick
Kamado Kommander

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:26 am

After a bit of checking......

As I said, Royal Wines has many brands that are produced in California, amongst those Herzog Special Reserve, Herrog, Baron Herzog, Weinstock, Weinstock Select and Kedem. Current listings do not include a Weinstock Contour but do include two wines in the Baron Herzog Series - Contour and Chenin Blanc, the first as said earlier, a semi-sweet blend of Chardonnay andChenin Blanc, the second an off-dry pure Chenin Blanc. Come November-December, I am planning on tasting the entire line of these wines and will report back on some detail at that time.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby David Raccah » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:07 pm

There is a rumor Daniel, that you will be coming to America this winter to do a write up on kosher wines. Is this true? For Royal only? Who is paying for it - not to question your objectivity, but more to know what wines will be included in the report.

Finally, someone told me that there used to be a kosher Oregon Pinot, did you hear about this?

Daniel Rogov wrote:After a bit of checking......

As I said, Royal Wines has many brands that are produced in California, amongst those Herzog Special Reserve, Herrog, Baron Herzog, Weinstock, Weinstock Select and Kedem. Current listings do not include a Weinstock Contour but do include two wines in the Baron Herzog Series - Contour and Chenin Blanc, the first as said earlier, a semi-sweet blend of Chardonnay andChenin Blanc, the second an off-dry pure Chenin Blanc. Come November-December, I am planning on tasting the entire line of these wines and will report back on some detail at that time.

Best
Rogov
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Howard R » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:20 pm

the "zan wine from the white city"- reference to old city in tel aviv is produced by noah. What is interesting is the blend of merlot and argaman grapes. I had purchased a bottle on sunday in New York and am holding it for "friday night"

Howard
www.kosherwinereport.com
Howard R
Cellar rat

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:36 am

Howard R wrote:What is interesting is the blend of merlot and argaman grapes.

"Interesting" of course is always a rather loaded word in the English language.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:29 am

There is a rumor Daniel, that you will be coming to America this winter to do a write up on kosher wines. Is this true? For Royal only? Who is paying for it - not to question your objectivity, but more to know what wines will be included in the report.

The rumor in this case is quite true. I shall be in the New York area to taste the various wines of Royal and Abarbanel as well as others available at Gotham and other shops; from there it will be to Florida to taste wines from two other importers; and from there to California for a combination of vertical, advance and barrel tastings from about nine different wineries.

As to who pays, let it only be said that my publisher realizes the need for such travels and tastings and our contractural arrangements include quite enough for me to travel "in the style to which I am accustomed".

...someone told me that there used to be a kosher Oregon Pinot, did you hear about this?

This rings a bell somewhere in the dim recesses of memory. Alas, no tasting note to be found.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby David Raccah » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:06 am

Daniel Rogov wrote: and from there to California for a combination of vertical, advance and barrel tastings from about nine different wineries.

Sounds cool - what nine wineries are here on the west coast? I know of:

Four Gates
Herzog
Weinstock (same as Herzog really)
Hagafen
Covenant

There used to be Silver Cloud, but it died. There was rumors that one of the hot cult wineries made a kosher run, still cannot come up with 9 wineries. I would be fascinated to learn more.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:06 pm

David, Hi....

Indeed, even fewer than you list because Covenant, although a fully independent operation of Jeff Morgan, is made at the Herzog facility. Oh yes.....lest we forget, Gallo also makes one or two kosher wines. No need to travel to California, however, to taste those.

Didn't mean to imply that all of my California visits would be to kosher wineries. I am also planning on visiting two large and several cult-wineries, none of which are kosher, in the area.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby David Raccah » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:18 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:David, Hi....

Indeed, even fewer than you list because Covenant, although a fully independent operation of Jeff Morgan, is made at the Herzog facility. Oh yes.....lest we forget, Gallo also makes one or two kosher wines. No need to travel to California, however, to taste those.

Didn't mean to imply that all of my California visits would be to kosher wineries. I am also planning on visiting two large and several cult-wineries, none of which are kosher, in the area.

Best
Rogov

FYI, Covenant will produce 100% of their wine in Napa this year (along with some new ones as well), though the wines will still be distributed through Royal

What Gallo wines are kosher? Are they worth drinking?
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:32 pm

[quote="David Raccah]What Gallo wines are kosher? Are they worth drinking?[/quote]

From time to time Gallo releases a White Zin, a white blend and a rose that are kosher. Truth is that unless otherwise forced, I have rather avoided these as not of interest to even the least sophisticated drinker. I will, however, taste them during my visit to the USA. Now that I'm doing a book on this, fair is fair.....

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum