WTN: Just Released 2005 Yatir Forest + Other Yatir Wines

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN: Just Released 2005 Yatir Forest + Other Yatir Wines

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:16 pm

Ah for Lenny Bernstein and "West Side Story". I have no idea whatever if the stars will be shining bright this night but I am attending the ashaka (unveiling) of Yatir Winery's 2005 Yatir Forest Wine. I've tasted this one on three occasions to date - once in barrel and twice in pre-release. Following is my most recent pre-release tasting note. Will be interesting to see how it compares now that the wine is going on the market. Will post twice again on this - on return from the tasting which will not be blind and then again in a week or so after a blind tasting in my own tasting room.

Best
Rogov

Yatir Forest, 2005 (Advance Tasting): A full-bodied Bordeaux blend of 77% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Petit Verdot and 10% Merlot. A third aged in new and two-thirds aged in old wood barriques for 15 months, this deep royal-purple wine casts intense orange and green reflections. Soft tannins integrating beautifully and the intentionally gentle hand with the wood come together nicely to let the wine open with spicy berry and cassis aromas and flavors, those going on to show blackberries and an underlying and fascinating mélange of bitter herbs. Long, generous and destined for elegance. Drink now–2014. Score 93. K (Tasted 5 Feb 2007)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Tonight, Tonight......

Postby Eli R » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:47 pm

Daniel, Hi,

As I wrote before, that due to last minute rescheduling, this is one exceptional time where the release event for the general public was 9 days before the Hashaka (Release in Hebrew) for the journalists and critics.
On Friday, July 18th, I had the pleasure and honor to taste this wine, served from a magnum in the company of Amos Ravid, the Education Manager of Carmel wineries, the parent company of Yatir.
IMHO the wine fully deserves the score and favorable WTN from your Advance Tasting.
I would not start another discussion on the price tag. Anyway, my good sources tell me that the entire release is sold out - meaning that apart from wine left for the winery use, their warehouse is empty.

Looking forward for the report from the event,

Eli
Eli R
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:48 pm

Re-tasted four Yatir wines in all this evening at the unveiling event and then two of those blind on return home. Winemaker Eran Goldwasser of Yatir is certainly doing things right and continues to demonstrate that this is indeed one of the very best wineries in Israel. My tasting notes follow.

Best
Rogov

Yatir, Viognier, 2007: My earlier tasting note holds firmly: Light golden straw in color, made entirely from Viognier grapes, some intentionally harvested early, some quite late and wisely unoaked to maintain the fruity and aromatic nature of the variety. Rich, ripe and crispy dry, a generous mouthful of pear, green apple, melon and summer fruits, those backed up by crisp acidity and a hint of unsweetened cream on the long finish. Drink now–2011. Score 92. K (Re-tasted twice with consistent notes 27 Jul 2008)

Yatir, Sauvignon Blanc, 2007: Showing elegance and subtlety with citrus, passion fruit, green apple and grapefruit aromas flavors on a stony-mineral background. Well crafted, simultaneously lively and sophisticated. Drink now–2010. Score 90. K (Re-tasted twice with consistent notes 27 Jul 2008)

Yatir, Merlot-Shiraz-Cabernet , 2005: My earlier tasting note holds firmly. A blend of Merlot, Shiraz, Cabernet Franc, and Petit Verdot (37%, 36%, 15% and 12% respectively). Aged in oak for 12 months, this still young wine shows firm tannins nicely balanced with lightly spicy wood. Starts with a rich blackberry nose and then goes on to aromas and flavors of wild berries, currants, and anise, all on a gently herbal background. Drink now–2012. Score 90. K (Re-tasted 27 Jul 2008)

Yatir Forest, 2005: Showing very nicely indeed and even better than at an advance tasting (about 18 months ago). A full-bodied Bordeaux blend of 77% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Petit Verdot and 10% Merlot. A third aged in new and two-thirds aged in old wood barriques for 15 months, this dark royal-purple towards garnet, deeply aromatic wine casts intense orange and green reflections. Soft tannins integrating beautifully and the intentionally gentle hand with the wood come together nicely to let the wine open with spicy berry and cassis aromas and flavors, those going on to show blackberries and an underlying and fascinating mélange of bitter herbs. Long, generous and destined for elegance. Drink now–2014. Score 94. K (Re-tasted 27 Jul 2008)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby EY Han » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:16 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Yatir, Viognier, 2007: My earlier tasting note holds firmly: Light golden straw in color, made entirely from Viognier grapes, some intentionally harvested early, some quite late and wisely unoaked to maintain the fruity and aromatic nature of the variety. Rich, ripe and crispy dry, a generous mouthful of pear, green apple, melon and summer fruits, those backed up by crisp acidity and a hint of unsweetened cream on the long finish. Drink now–2011. Score 92. K (Re-tasted twice with consistent notes 27 Jul 2008)

I hurt my leg later tonight, so instead of meeting another friend for a temporary farewell by beers at a pub, we had some of the Yatir Viognier, 2007 out on my 5th floor porch in the industrial area of Jerusalem. On the nose I was getting full pineapple, dashes of coconut shavings, and a real tropical rispiness. As it developed, I was tasting the melons on the palate… I felt that the body of this wine resembled that of a Sauvignon Blanc. This was my very first tasting of this wine, because it is usually priced higher than the majority of the other Israeli Viogniers, and today I found it at a much lower price in decent condition too (last one in the store).

- E.Y.
EY Han
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum