White recommendations

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

White recommendations

Postby Lior Yogev » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations for interesting whites. I usually prefer them unoaked and to the lighter side, and price range of up to 60-70NIS (doesn't have to be Israeli). My latest purchase included Carmel's new Gewurtz and Vitkin's recent white Israeli journey (both 2007).

In addition, any opinions on Tabor's latest chardonnay and Columbia Crest's latest Pinot Gris would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Re: White recommendations

Postby Mike_F » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:25 pm

This summer we are drinking a fair amount of Pelter Sauvignon Blanc 2007. You might want to compare with the Sauvignon Blanc's from Yatir or Carmel Ramat Arad.

Other excellent whites enjoyed recently include Flam Sauvignon Blanc/Chardonnay and a premier cru Chablis from derech Ha Yain whose name escapes me.
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
Mike_F
Ultra geek

Postby Jan Schultink » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:33 pm

Tulip "white"
Vitkin dry Gewurztraminer
Jan Schultink
Ultra geek

Postby Ryan M » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:37 pm

Well, since you say 'interesting' and 'doesn't have to be Israeli,' here are two very interesting, very nice, very good value whites for summer drinking. The Rioja is around $12 US, and the Grillo around $8.

Ostatu, Rioja Alavesa 2006
Attractive, pale, golden yellow. Very nice nose. Limey citrus, peach, and aromatic tropical fruits. Steely vegetal notes and minerals throughout, especially on the finish. Notes of honey add richness and depth on the finish. Fresh and lively. Lotes of character. Riesling-like aromatics. Good stuff. Drink Now. Excellent (87 - 90) [1/15/08]

Feudo Arancio Grillo Sicilia IGT 2006
Clean, bright, light straw color. Reasonably nice, aromatic nose. Citrus upfront (grapefruit, perhaps) with a suggestion of tartness, then peach and green apples. But the fruit, although nice, is really incidental to the fascinating background aromatics: almost floral honey notes, pleasent vegetal notes (green pepper, and something like asparagus but sharper and slightly sweet - the back label suggests nettles), and prominent peppery spice. Light to medium in body, with a fair amount of acidity, not rich but reasonably ripe. Has a passing resemblance to Semillon. Attractive alternative to the ubiquitous Pinot Grigio. Very Good (85 - 87), at times almost Excellent (87 - 90). [4/12/08]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
Ryan M
Wine Gazer

WTN: White recommendations

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:01 pm

Lior, Hi...

Starting with the two about which you specifically inquired.

Tabor, Chardonnay, 2007: Sparkling, clear light gold in color, light to medium-bodied, with appealing flinty and steely minerals and finely tuned acidity supporting appealing citrus, grapefruit and passion fruit aromas and flavors, a lovely unoaked white. Not overly complex but drinking beautifully. Drink now. Score 88. K

Columbia Crest, Pinot Grigio, Grand Estates, Columbia Valley, Washington, 2006: Light golden straw, light- to medium-bodied, with fine balancing acidity to set off summer fruits, melon and ripe pear fruits. Not complex but very inviting. Drink now. Score 87.

And going on to several more that will fit into your requirements… A far from inclusive list…

Tabor, Sauvignon Blanc, Adama, Gir, 2007: The color of light golden-straw, showing apple, melon and peach fruits, those supported nicely by crisp acidity, stony minerals and a light hint of freshly mown grass. Lightly frizzante when served well chilled. Drink now. Score 88. K

Gvaot, Gofna Reserve, Chardonnay-Cabernet Sauvignon, 2007: This white wine, a blend of 78% Chardonnay and 22 Cabernet Ssauvignon, the Cabernet made in the blanc de noirs style. Light golden straw in color, crisply dry, medium-bodied, a white that in addition to peach and apple fruits shows notes of berries and even a hint of tannins. An oddball, but a pleasant oddball and most definitely meant for quite early drinking. Score 86. K

Carmel, Gewurztraminer, Appellation, Upper Galilee, 2007 (Advance Tasting): Off-dry, lively and well balanced with peach, apricot and citrus peel notes highlighted by a light hint of spiciness. Appealing floral and citrus peel on the finish. Drink now-2009. Score 88. K

Pfaffenheim, Riesling, Alsace, 2006: With a true Riesling nose, showing hints of petrol and grapefruit, a half-dry wine with good balancing acidity and generous citrus peel and mineral notes on the palate. Drink now. Score 85.

Recanati, Chardonnay, 2007: With its notes of melon, lemon, lemon peel and light hints of fresh sea air and minerality, calls to mind a Petit Chablis. Developed sur lie for several months, showing fine crispness and liveliness, a very good bet for summertime drinking. Drink now-2009. Score 88. K

Recanati, Sauvignon Blanc, Reserve, 2007: Crisp and aromatic, unoaked and showing fine fresh fruit and good balancing acidity. Light straw in color, light- to medium-bodied, with appealing grapefruit, kiwi and passion fruit backed up by hints of white pepper and a note of freshly mown grass. Lively and refreshing and with just enough complexity to grab the attention. Drink now. Score 89. K

Hagafen, Chardonnay, Oak Knoll, Napa Valley, 2006: Golden straw in color, this medium- to full-bodied white shows tantalizing hints of toasty and spicy oak. Opens with citrus and apple aromas and flavors, those on a lightly creamy background and then opening to reveal notes of ripe peaches and citrus peel. A white that will go as well with fish, chicken or veal. Drink now-2009. Score 90. K

Hagafen, Sauvignon Blanc, Napa Valley, 2006: Light golden straw in color, certainly one of the best dry whites to date from HaGafen. As many of the HaGafen wines, opens with a complex and concentrated nose, in this case showing citrus and grapes, those going in a few moments to orange peel and hints of mango and freshly mown grass, those with an underlying hint of bitterness that is set off nicely by lively acidity. Drink now-2010. Score 91. K

Marques de Riscal, Verdejo, Rueda, 2006: A blend of 85% Verdejo grapes with the balance of Viura and Sauvignon Blanc. Light golden in color, opens with the aroma of freshly mown hay, goes to aromas and flavors of green apples, grass and mineral notes. Crisp, lively and refreshing. Drink now. Score 85

Vitkin, Blanc, Israeli Voyage, 2007: A blend of 60% Viognier, 30% old vine French Colombard and 10% Gewurztraminer, aged on its lees partly in stainless steel and partly in large oak casks. Light- to medium-bodied, freshly aromatic and showing red grapefruit, tropical fruit and white peaches on a lightly spicy background. Dry but with a very pleasant hint of sweetness that makes the wine fine either as an aperitif or as an accompaniment to grilled fish and seafood dishes. Finishes fresh and lively. Drink now or in the next year or so. Score 88.

Vitkin, Johannisberg Riesling, 2006: Light gold in color, opens with a floral and petrol nose and then goes on to reveal grapefruit, bitter orange peel and notes of green apples. Spicy and long. Drink now-2010. Score 88.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Lior Yogev » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:12 pm

Mike_F wrote:This summer we are drinking a fair amount of Pelter Sauvignon Blanc 2007. You might want to compare with the Sauvignon Blanc's from Yatir or Carmel Ramat Arad.

Other excellent whites enjoyed recently include Flam Sauvignon Blanc/Chardonnay and a premier cru Chablis from derech Ha Yain whose name escapes me.

Thanks Mike,

Pelter's is so far me favourite sauv blan this summer. From the 2007 Carmel gave the entire crop of Ramat Arad to Yatir and now produces the sauv blan on the Regional series instead of the Kerem series. I tasted both, the Yatir is not to my taste (not that there's anything wrong with it - just personal taste) and the Carmel I find not as good as previous vintages. I've heard only good words of the Flam and will try it, and as for Chablis - I prefer my whites unoaked (or very lightly oaked, like the previous Ramat Arads).

Thanks again, I'll report back on the Flam when tasted.

Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby Lior Yogev » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:31 pm

Jan Schultink wrote:Tulip "white"
Vitkin dry Gewurztraminer

Thanks Jan,

I had the Tulip recently and it was quite nice. I still remember their excellent 2005 sauv blanc, by the way.
As for Vitkin's Gewurtz, it's slightly more expansive than I'm willing to pay for a white, but since I didn't have a Vitkin I didn't enjoy so far - I'll probably give it a try.

Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Re: WTN: White recommendations

Postby Lior Yogev » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:54 pm

Ryan, Thanks

Both sound interesting and to my taste, if I come across them in Israel I'll give it a try.

Rogov, Thanks for the notes and the recommendations!

The Tabor sauv is usually a good choice, indeed I need to try the 2007.
The Carmel and Vitkin are already in my fridge. The Gvaot sounds interesting.
Recanati make good chardonnay but I don't like the oak (although it's usually well integrated).
Is Hagefen being imported to Israel?

Thanks to all,

Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby Eli R » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:41 pm

Lior, Hi,

Rogov:
Tabor, Chardonnay, 2007: Sparkling, clear light gold in color, light to medium-bodied, with appealing flinty and steely minerals and finely tuned acidity supporting appealing citrus, grapefruit and passion fruit aromas and flavors, a lovely unoaked white. Not overly complex but drinking beautifully. Drink now. Score 88. K

I had one bottle after tasting it in an event of the winners of "Eshkol Hazav" 2008, paid less than 40 NIS. Since it disappeared from the stores.
If you find it, send me a message.

My latest picks:

Golan Heights Winery, Chardonnay, Yarden, 2005
Golan Heights Winery, Chardonnay, Odem Organic Vineyard, 2005
The above two will not meet your preference
Dalton, Sauvignon Blanc, Reserve, 2006
Dalton Estate, Fume Blanc, 2006
Yatir, Sauvignon Blanc, 2007
Galil Mountain, Viognier, 2006
Next candidates:
Yatir, Viognier, 2007 - if you can find it
Pelter
Flam
Odem mountain volcano Chardonnay 2007
Amhorae, Viognier
Price range for all of the above - 39 - 70 NIS

Eli
Eli R
Wine guru

Re: WTN: White recommendations

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:01 pm

Lior Yogev wrote:Is Hagefen being imported to Israel?

Lior, Hi.....

This and sevral others of the Hagafen wines are now being imported into Israel. See my review and comments on how to obtain the wines at
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1004545.html

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Lior Yogev » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:06 pm

Eli, thanks for your suggestions

I find most of GHW chardonnays to be over oaked. Yatir's Viognier is indeed quite good, I'll get one if I come across it.

Rogov, thanks. The sauv-blan sounds good.

Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby Rotem Perets » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:51 pm

Hi,

I second the motion on - Galil Mountain, Viognier, 2006
quiet refreshing.

Rotem
Last edited by Rotem Perets on Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rotem Perets
Wine geek

Postby Lior Yogev » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:32 pm

Thanks for the recommendations.

Galil Mt.'s Viognier is oaked, by the way, but I agree it's done mildly and that it's a refreshing wine.

Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby EY Han » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:37 pm

Eli R wrote:
Tabor, Chardonnay, 2007:

I had one bottle after tasting it in an event of the winners of "Eshkol Hazav" 2008, paid less than 40 NIS. Since it disappeared from the stores.

My latest picks:

Galil Mountain, Viognier, 2006
Next candidates:
Yatir, Viognier, 2007 - if you can find it

Hi Eli, the Tabor Chardonnay, 2007 is well in stock both in Israel and abroad. A major food and drink supplier in Israel that has an ample supply of it is Mega Supermarket for circa 45 NIS.

Question: Have you been able to taste the Carmel Appellation Upper Galilee Viognier, 2007, and if so how would you compare it tot he Galil Mountain?
I re-tasted this last Shabbat dinner, and did not found it like my previous tastings since a month and a half ago. Otherwise, I used to find a very refreshing, crisp, well balanced Viognier. I will need to do a re-tasting sometime in a month or so…

Best wishes,
E.Y.
EY Han
Wine guru

WTN: Israeli Viognier

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:04 pm

Eugene, Hi....

I'm not sure whether your question was directed to me, but on the chance that it was, my tasting notes for the two Viognier wines follow.

Best
Rogov

Carmel, Viognier, Regional, Upper Galilee, 2007: With 75% cold fermented in stainless steel and the remainder in barriques, that aged sur lie for 4 months. Shows a bare, tantalizing hint of spicy oak on the nose as it opens, yielding to an array of spicy pear, grapefruit and tangerine fruits all on a supple and just-spicy-enough frame. Refreshing and rich. Drink now–2010. Score 90. K

Galil Mountain, Viognier, 2007: Dark golden-straw with tinges of orange, showing good balance between wood, acidity and fruit. On the nose and palate floral, light mineral, summer fruits and melon come together nicely. Drink now–2009. Score 89. K
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Lior Yogev » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:54 am

E.Y. Hi,

I tasted the Carmel new Viogner a few months ago, and shortly wrote about it: showing varietal character, some delicacy and restrained use of oak. Somewhat more elegant than the alternatives, but I found it a bit slim and simple IMHO. The Galil Viognier (which I had quite a while ago, and from the previous vintage) I found quite fruit-forward and juicy, albeit somewhat heavy and to the full side.

If you have a chance to taste it, I think the relatively new Galil Mt. Avivim takes what's good in the GM Viognier and delivers it in a more balanced package, which offers more complexity as well.

Just my two cents,

Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum