TNR: Finca la Celia Supremo 2002

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

TNR: Finca la Celia Supremo 2002

Postby Eli R » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:52 pm

Daniel Hi,

The above wine is recommended in the Wine Route chain. Besides the fact the bottle is heavy enough to be considered dangerous, do you know anything about this wine?

Thanks,

Eli
Eli R
Wine guru

Re: TNR: Finca la Celia Supremo 2002

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:16 pm

Eli, Hi....

Following is my tasting note for the wine in question. As to dangerous bottles, it's a long time since I've seen a film featuring a bar-room brawl but I did once see someone get a terrific black eye from a flying Champagne cork.

Best
Rogov

Finca la Celia, Supremo, Uco Valley, Argentina, 2002: Some may find the name of this wine just a bit pretentious but what the heck, it's a good wine and as they say "a free country". A blend of just about every red grape grown in Argentina – Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot, aged in oak for 24 months. Full-bodied, dark garnet in color, with firm tannins well balanced by spicy oak and fruits. On the nose and palate purple plums, blackberries, currants and a generous hint of licorice that comes in on the long finish. Drink now-2010. Score 90. (Tasted twice with consistent notes 11 and 14 Apr 2007)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Eli R » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:01 pm

Daniel, Thanks, much more positive than the other "superior" wine from the same label that is sold along side this one.
Think I will try it sometime but am not convinced to buy a case at sale price.
This bottle is so heavy, it may slip from your grip and fall on your toe and break it, as you are not ready to handle that weight. :lol:

Eli
Eli R
Wine guru

Postby Alejandro Audisio » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:19 pm

La Celia used to make a very nice Cabernet Franc.... but they have basically left the local market scene.... havent seen them around for over 3 years now. This Supremo blend is probably their "top of the line" wine.... I dont think its available here in Argentina. The above note by Rogov has sparked my interest, though..... maybe I need to see if I can procure a few cases.
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina
Alejandro Audisio
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:59 pm

Alejandro, Hello.....

Indeed La Celia did do a nice Cabernet Franc Reserva, the last of which I encountered was from the 2003 vintage. Have not seen it on the market since then.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Eli R » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:36 pm

Hi,

Fincca La Celia Cabernet Franc Reserva is back in town (Israel). After some months of empty shelves, the 2004 vintage has been spotted in local stored.
My personal "cellar tracker" shows a purchase of 2 bottles in February 2008, that were enjoyed soon after.
Eli

Updated August 3: If anyone in Israel is interested, the full range of Fincca La Celia Reserva (CS,CF, Malbec, Merlot) wines is available at Wine Route and is on sale in August: 2 for 100 NIS.
Eli R
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum