Wines we enjoyed last week(July 13-19/08)

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Wines we enjoyed last week(July 13-19/08)

Postby Michael Greenberg » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:01 pm

This is is my first post on the new Rogov Forum site--so not seeing this familiar staple thread of weekly wines enjoyed that was a regular item on the old site,I thought I'd do the honours and re-start the habit here..so...last week I had:

BAROSSA VALLEY ESTATE E MINOR SHIRAZ 2005,Brossa Valley,South Australia

TN: This was a New Discovery Wine at Vintages(Ontario) in the July 5th release..this is a good QPR wine at just $17.95 cdn that I paid--it tastes like a more expensive Shiraz from Barossa...Deep ruby in colour..delicious flavours of bluebery,raspberry ,plum,cocoa and spicy oak..dry and medium in body but with a plush mouthfeel that is soft and juicy...good balance and a "lip-smacking finish" (to quote the Vintages Panel-but I concurr-it was indeed that).

PILLITERI ESTATES FAMILY RESERVE MERLOT,VQA Niagara Peninsula

TN: This wine won a Silver Medal at Vinexpo 2006 and a Gold Medal at the 2006 Canadian Wine Awards...It is indeed a top-level Merlot-I think the best Merlot I've ever had from Ontario or all of Canada....the wine from the superb 2002 Vintage in Ontario is drinking beautifully but could yet be even more nuance with a 2-3 more years in the cellar..It is richly layered with gorgeous plum,raspberry and cherry fruit flavours with elements of spice,coffee beans ,chocolate and a hint of tobacco...superbly well-structured and very elegant..
Michael Greenberg
Ultra geek

Re: Wines we enjoyed last week(July 13-19/08)

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:25 pm

Michael and All....

Truth is that I hesitated in starting this particular thread/tradition again as it had fallen off considerably in popularity. Why not use this and next week as a test-case and if enough people feel they want to post here, we'll certainly start it as a weekly tradition once again.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Gamliel K » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:34 pm

Dear Rogov, Michael, et.al.,

I for one would like to see these threads continue. Here is my contribution for the week:

A bottle of Louis de Sacy’s kosher non-vintage Champagne Brut Grand Cru, shared with a beautiful woman. My tasting notes follow:

Louis de Sacy, Champagne, Brut Grand Cru, NV (kosher edition): This light-peach-colored Champagne has a nose of apricot, apples, and heather, with hints of toasted challah. The wine has a rich and luxurious mouth-feel, a long lasting mousse, and lots of small, nose-tickling bubbles. Look for flavors of apples, apricots, cream, and toasted challah, with a charming yeastiness. Score A-.

Gamliel
Gamliel K
Ultra geek

Postby Eli R » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:48 pm

Hi,

Yatir Forest 2005 - at the release tasting - excellent wine
Golan Heights Yarden CS 2001 - now reaching its peak

Eli
Eli R
Wine guru

Postby Norm N » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:59 pm

I'd like to see the tradition of posting weekly notes continue as well.... As I now reside in the Niagara region and it is summer, a light refreshing local white seemed in order. Flat Rock 2007 Twisted, a blend of Riesling, Gewurztraminer, and Chardonnay. Aromatic, just off-dry with notes of lemon, and oranges with a nice backbone of acidity. Perfect summer white. A winery worth visiting...a great view and fine wines.

Cheers,
Norm
Norm N
Ultra geek

Postby Alek W » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:20 pm

Here is the list:

Segal Marom Galil Single Cabernet Sauvignon 2003 - typical Israeli CS with still firm tannins; failed to open after 30 minutes in the glass.
It would be interesting to check it in a year from now, but this was the last bottle.

Gush Etzion Nahal Haprim 2005 - unusual (for Israel) Old World style wine, resembles upper level supermarket Bordeaux wines. Not interesting enough. For NIS 63, I doubt I will buy this wine once again.

Galil Mountain Pinot Noir 2006 - a lovely wine, though with a green note, which I do not recall in 2005 vintage. Definitely will have more of the same.

Sea Horse Fellini 2004 - excellent wine, opens after 20 minutes in the glass and is drinking beautifully. Mouth-filling, long and generous, as Rogov says, and I agree completely.

Alek.
Alek W
Ultra geek

Postby EY Han » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:41 pm

Hi Michael,

Last Thursday night I had the pleasure of doing a tasting between the brand new Tabor Pninim/Pearls, 2007 (made out of Merlot) and the Tabor Merlot, 2007. For the former see my last week's Friday night post. The Merlot red did not have quite the same aroma as when it came out, but we still enjoyed it even though we tasted it after the Pninim which was enjoyed with a lot of ice cubes :)

Best wishes,
E.Y.
EY Han
Wine guru

Postby Doug Z » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:41 am

i never know to post on this thread or the friday night wine thread because often enough for me, friday night is always a wine night....

and if i have a non friday wine....well, every night that wine is drunk is a sabbath...

(apologies to the faithful, although im not as heretical as i may appear)
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
Doug Z
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:54 am

Doug Z wrote:...im not as heretical as i may appear)

"Heresy is another word for freedom of thought.” - Graham Greene

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby William Laird » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:28 am

Clos De Gat, Chardonnay, 2006.
I tasted this wine on a visit to the winery and I was very impressed, even though I may incur the wrath of Ric.
I enjoyed the fact that the oak was restrained and not suffocating. Smooth and light with a delicate creamy-butter feel in the mouth.
Nice aromas and flavours of pear, apples and melon. Quite long and complex, lingering nicely in the mouth.
I am not normally a white wine lover but this was the most enjoyable wine tasted on this visit. Served cool but not chilled so the flavours were accessible.

Bill
William Laird
Wine geek

Postby Rotem Perets » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:36 pm

Hi All,

Yatir - Red Blend 2005

Beautiful clear deep purple color. Very strong berry flavored nose .
On the palate this wine feels young, live and kicking.
Both the Merlot & Shiraz are very well noticed, and even compete for the ruling taste.
The strong taste lingers in the mouth with spiciness.
Rotem Perets
Wine geek

Postby David Raccah » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:07 pm

Four Gates Cabernet Franc 2005 - Score: A-
The Four Gates Cabernet Franc was a real joy to drink, it is a classic Cabernet Franc with a Tasmanian Devil attitude. I need to stress that this is not a copy of one of my favorites which is a Cabernet is a Franc’s clothing. Nope this one is a real Franc - but with a bit of tude to boot. The nose on this dark garnet colored wine just explodes with cranberry, cherry, raspberry, and vegetal notes. Stopping for a editorial comment - a Cabernet Franc must have floral, berry, and herbaceous flavors to make it a Franc to me - end of editorial. This one has all of those along with an acid core that solidifies the wine’s body. The mouth on this medium bodied wine explodes with a red fruit attack that is wrapped in an acidic core that tames the fruit, while accentuating the fruit quality. The mid palate is filled with continued acidic notes and lovely herbaceous flavors. The finish is long and filled with fruit and wood shavings. All and all a real winner. This one stood up to some serious food, but I would not throw it at lamb or such.

Herzog Syrah Special Reserve 2003 - Score: B
This line of wines (Herzog Syrah Special Reserve) need to be drunken early - maybe two to three years after the vintage year. They must be doing something to them to make them so accessible early. They have no cellar life - a real shame!!! The spicy, fruity, and tar flavors are long gone. The color is still a nice purple, but the nose has gone south. There are aromas of blackberry, oak, and a bit of nutmeg. The mouth of this medium-full bodied wine is almost fruitless at this point. There are still hints of black fruit. The mid palate has a slight burn of alcohol and the finish is woody with a hint of pepper.

Four Gates Syrah 2004 - Score: A
This wine was enjoyed with the last bit of lamb and then continued on to desert. When thinking about the wonderful lamb - only one word comes to mind - steamrolled. The poor lamb had no idea what hit it. The Syrah continued its assault on the peach cobbler and the two were actually quite a nice pair, though not as nice as the lamb pairing. The sugar in the cobbler was nice with the acidity and body of the Syrah, but the spicy and tangy flavor of the lamb paired better with the acidic and full bodied Syrah. Enough editorial. To be truly fair this wine needs a few hours of airing - as the alcohol flavor blows off by then and the lovely fruit, tar and inky flavors come pouring out. The nose on this purple colored wine (with orange halos) is filled with blackberry, tar, leather, and tons of oak. The mouth on this full bodied wine is packed with black fruit; blackberry and plum along with a huge inky and viscous mouth-feel. The wine almost levitates in your mouth, almost like time stands still while it wishes about in your mouth. The mid palate is filled with more ink characteristics and leather notes. The finish is long and satisfying with notes of tar and wood.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby EY Han » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:37 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:
Doug Z wrote:and if i have a non friday wine....well, every night that wine is drunk is a sabbath...
(apologies to the faithful, although im not as heretical as i may appear)

"Heresy is another word for freedom of thought.” - Graham Greene

Actually, considering that there are two general concepts of Shabbat - the 7th day of rest created and commanded for man and the Eternal Shabbat spoken about in Midrashic sources, etc., which I believe the Lekhah Dodi chanted by religious Jews to welcome in the 7th day of rest refers to - it doesn't seem to be in the realm of heterodoxoy at all :D
Yes, this means that there is to be wine in Eternal Shabbos! Also, the symbolism of "non friday wine" being drunk pointing to/reflecting such a Sabbath could possibly be seen as that of Late Antiquity, Alexandrian Jewry like that of Philo…

Best wishes,
E.Y.
EY Han
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum