Kosher wines from New Zealand

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Kosher wines from New Zealand

Postby Sue Courtney » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:03 pm

Probably something not many people know (although in Rogov's forum that statement may be incorrect) is that there is a wine company in New Zealand making Kosher wines. The guy behind this Phil Jones of Spencer Hill Estate and his Kosher brand is Goose Bay.
I've only tried the Sauvignon Blanc and yes; it's quite reflective of the Marlborough style. It also has a DIAM super critical cork rather than the normal screwcap than you get on Marlborough sauvignon blanc wines (I can hear Rogov shouting, "Hurrah!"). It is distributed by the Royal Wines Company in New York.

From the Press release April 2005
Kosher winemaker and observant Jew Norman Lever was brought from Melbourne to make the wine, and started the process by tipping the first truckload of grapes into the crusher. … "

" …. flash pasteurisation has revolutionised the kosher winemaking process. The kosher requirement for heating can be met but the integrity and quality of the wine are not compromised. "

"While the extra cost of leasing the flash pasteuriser and Lever's input will add costs to the wine, Jones says they will be minimal, and he will still be able to pitch his kosher wines at a competitive price on the international market. "

" … what really excites Jones is that people who have never before had a Marlborough sauvignon blanc will be able to taste their first drop of this world-renowned wine. "

This link is to the winery's tasting note for the latest release of sauvignon blanc (right click to open in new window).

Cheers,
Sue Courtney
PS - They produce Kosher sauvignon blanc, chardonnay, viognier, pinot gris and pinot noir.
Sue Courtney
Wine guru

Re: Kosher wines from New Zealand

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:26 pm

Sue, Hi.....

The Goose Bay wines have been well received by the kosher and non-kosher crowd alike, and that both in the USA and Israel. Following are several of my tasting notes for recent releases.

Best
Rogov

Goose Bay, Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, 2005: Medium-bodied, light straw in color with orange and green reflections, and appealing citrus, peach and tropical fruits opening nicely to reveal a light grassy and spicy wood overlays. Lively and generous. Drink now-2007. Score 86. K (Tasted 22 Jan 2006)

Goose Bay, Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand, 2006: Light golden straw in color, medium-bodied, with green apple, citrus and tropical fruits backed up nicely by a hint of grassiness. Not complex but a good quaffer. Drink now. Score 85. K (Tasted 22 May 2007)

Goose Bay, Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand, 2007: Light straw in color, with distinct gooseberry, green apple and tropical fruits all on a background of freshly mown grass. Medium-bodied, round, with good balancing acidity, an appealing quaffer. Drink now. Score 86. (Tasted 23 May 2008)

Goose Bay, Pinot Noir, East Coast, 2005: Light- to medium-bodied, with tannins soft enough that you might mistake this for a Gamay, but lively and pleasant, with raspberry, strawberry and spicy aromas and flavors that linger nicely. Drink now-2008. Score 86. K (Tasted 9 May 2006)

Goose Bay, Pinot Noir, Marlborough, New Zealand, 2006: Dark ruby in color, medium-bodied, with soft tannins and just a hint of spicy wood. Opens to show appealing raspberry, cassis and orange peel, those supported nicely by hints of white pepper. As pleasant with fish and seafood as with chicken and light veal dishes. Drink now-2009. Score 87. K (Tasted 9 Aug 2007)

As to the winery's statement that "" …. flash pasteurisation has revolutionised the kosher winemaking process. The kosher requirement for heating can be met but the integrity and quality of the wine are not compromised", let us just say that this is open to debate. I am one of those who disagree, finding that after only a few months in bottle one can easily tell the difference between a wine that has been mevushal (flash pasteurized) and one that has not, the advantage always (!!) going to the non pastruzied. Fortunately for Goose Bay, most of their wines are meant for quite early consumption. Cellar them for a year or more and you will deduct anywhere from 3 - 8 points from my scores.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Sue Courtney » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:48 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Sue, Hi.....

The Goose Bay wines have been well received by the kosher and non-kosher crowd alike, and that both in the USA and Israel. Following are several of my tasting notes for recent releases.

Best
Rogov

Hey, that's great to know. Sounds like they are more well known in your part of the world than they are in their country of origin. I hardly hear a whisper of them here.
Cheers,
Sue
Sue Courtney
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:29 pm

Daniel, I know we have gone around on this one before, but unless the bottles we have out here - the 2006 is a shadow of the 2005 vintage. It is clawing and over the top, where the 2005 was fruity and spicy - I hope the 2006 will become enjoyable in a year.

Also, they have released a few wonderful new wines (Pinot Gris and Viognier). I am hoping to get my hands on them soon, and post my notes. Daniel do you have notes on them?
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby B Kessler » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:44 am

Daniel,

If I understood you correctly, you mentioned that Goose Bay is available in Israel. Where, please?

Also, has Teal Lake from Australia made its way to Israel?

Thanks!

Regards,
Bill
B Kessler
Cellar rat

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:19 pm

With re the availability of Goose Bay and Tel Lake, first bet is to check the store of Mendel (Ben Yehuda Street, Tel Aviv) and then the major wine shops.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum