Cooking with Fermented Grapes

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Cooking with Fermented Grapes

Postby Yoni M » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:21 am

This past weekend's edition of Haaretz had some fascinating recipes involving the use of fermented grapes and must. I am really intrigued by the idea, both in terms of the flavors imparted as well as making "wine" in my kitchen.

Has anyone tried this? Anything special to be aware of?

Many thanks,
Yoni
Yoni M
Wine geek

Re: Cooking with Fermented Grapes

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:57 am

Yoni, Hi...

With all due respect to Aeyal Shani, for whom I have great respect as a chef-cook, my own opinion is that you will do far better to use a decent wine for your cooking. Self-fermented grapes (a form of wine in its own way) can turn out either magnificently or as an abomination. And they can stink up your kitchen "something awful"|

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Cooking with Fermented Grapes

Postby Yoni M » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:09 am

Hi Rogov,

You essentially confirmed my fears. I have tried cooking with good wine on a number of occasions, and rather than obtaining a concentrated, flavorful reduction, I usually come out with something that stinks like rotten plums. I am still trying to figure out how to create a harmonious relationship between my saucepan and wine cellar. Any tips?
Yoni M
Wine geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner