My Memorable Wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

My Memorable Wine

Postby Rotem Perets » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:57 am

I would like to invite you all to take part in this post.
Please select one wine that you remember as being significantly existing & memorable.

It could be red or white and from any nationality.
Here is mine:

Kavaklıdere Selection Kırmızı

Winery – Kavaklıdere (Turkey)
Wine - Selection Kırmızı (Translates as “Red Selection”)
Vintage – 1987

I had the pleasure of tasting this wine in 2003. The wine was the 15 years old, not so promising for a Turkish wine.
I decided to give it a try anyway, as it seems like a nice enough adventure as the time.

I followed the rules of dealing with mature wine, placed it for a day in un upwards tilted possession,
To let all the sediment settle as the bottom of the bottle. Gently opened the bottle and pored it into a decanter.

I decided to try it in a 15 minute interval, from the second I opened the bottle.

During the first 30 minutes, the wine tasted more like sulfur than a wine.
About 45 minutes after I poured the wine into the decanter it was ready.

More than anything, it was surprising, as I came to find an excellent wine, better than any of the wines have yet to try.
It was light brown in color, the red & purple colors, usually found in younger wines were long gone.
It wine was round and had hints of herbs & chocolate. There were no traces of tannins.

After 60 minutes the wine started showing tiredness, and after 75 minutes it was no longer drink worthy.
All in All it was a surprising & exciting experience.

This is my memorable wine, what was yours.

Rotem
Rotem Perets
Wine geek

Re: My Memorable Wine

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:44 pm

I''m afraid that the memory of Baron Philippe de Rothschild is better than mine (and certainly predates my own).

Whatever, most memorable was the first time I picked up two 1 liter bottles of very cheap Algerian red wine at Nicolas in the Latin Quarter, my date and I taking it the edge of the Seine where a group of young people were doing whatever it is that young people do with guitars, wine, marijuana and the spirit of Paris on a warm spring evening. No memory whatever of the wine except that it was one of the most enchantng I ever had, and passing it from hand to hand and mouth to mouth, everyone sharing, remains one of the great memories of my life.

After that, too many to go into details......

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: My Memorable Wine

Postby Ehud W » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:49 am

Memorable? Well, a line of barrel samples I was advised to spit but didn't.
It was in Domaine de la Romanée Conti, barrel sample of all plots, one after another, Romanée Conti for a closure.
Memorable? indeed.
Ehud
Ehud W
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum