Rogov and Rogov's Place: A Few Words of Introduction

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Rogov and Rogov's Place: A Few Words of Introduction

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:28 am

Moving into a new home is always an exciting venture. A "hassle" in many ways but in the end worth the pains.

To those who have been members of the forum at Stratsplace which will soon be going offline because of Art Stratemeyer's untimely death, welcome to our new home. As I've said before, all will remain much the same here as it was in the past. That is to say, I intend to remain "ye faithful curmudgeon" and, to some extent "mother goose". All of our former policies will remain in force and that is an easy matter as our host, Robin Garr and the WLDG have almost identical policies regarding forum decorum.

The only real change is a real name registration policy and that is a positive step as it wills to a great extent help to avoid the nudnicks (nuisances) and SPAM that can be so annoying. I know that a few are having a problem registering but give that a bit of patience as the tech person has just returned from vacation and is trying as diligently as possible to get everybody on-line as soon as possible. If problems do persist, drop me a note by email to drogov@cheerful.com

To those who have not been following my work, a bit of self-introduction. Let us start of by saying that even though I taste more than 1,000 wines monthly and dine in restaurants anywhere from 6 - 10 times weekly, I am neither wealthy nor fat. Nor do I have a red, bulbous nose.

The truth of the matter is that I enjoy wine and food so much that I consider it foolish to abuse either of them. Let us continue by admitting that for more years than I care to admit in public, my joint passions for wine and gastronomy (can they be separated?) have provided me with a very comfortable and pleasant way of making a living.

Currently, for example, I am the wine and restaurant critic for the Israeli daily newspaper HaAretz and for the Israeli version of the International Herald Tribune. I contribute regularly on the subjects of food and wine to several European newspapers and magazines and am the author of the annual "Rogov's Guide to Israeli Wines" which is now going into its fifth edition. I also contribute annually to Tom Steven's World Wine Report and am a consultant to Hugh Johnson's Pocket Encyclopedia of Wine. My other most recent book, a compendium of culinary history and mythology, "Rogues, Writers and Whores" was released in late 2007.

As a young colleague once put it, I always travel first class, have no choice but to taste the world's best wines, dine in the world's best restaurants and stay in the world's best hotels. To add insult to injury, I am even paid for my efforts.
I have other passions as well. Those, however, are best not discussed in public.

As to differences between my forums and Robin's, there are not all that many except perhaps for the fact that living in and being based in Israel, a good deal (but far from all) of what I have to say relates to Israeli wines and the Israeli dining scene as well as to kosher wines and dining. I myself am not observant but probably taste more kosher wines than anyone else on the planet. I also write frequently (more frequently than on those) about the wines and potential dining and travel experiences to be found in other wine regions of the world.

Before closing – my thanks to Peter May for making the match between Robin and myself; my thanks to Robin and his team for agreeing to host us; and now looking forward to seeing old friends as well as making new ones on Rogov's Place.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Rogov and Rogov's Place: A Few Words of Introduction

Postby Peter May » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:07 am

Welcome to your new home :)

I hope you'll be very happy here.
Peter May
Pinotage Advocate

Postby Norm N » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:07 am

Nice new home, Daniel. I'm sure that the move will be a successful one.

Cheers,
Norm
Norm N
Ultra geek

Postby Isi M » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:48 am

Finally I succeeded to enter this safebox !

Hello to everybody and good luck Sir Rogov !

Isi
Isi M
Wine guru

Postby Eli R » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:46 pm

Hello Everyone,

With the switch to the new forum, new names and new photos/graphics, I cannot recall who is from where.
I suugest that you all edit your profile and add town and country (state/province).

Thanks,

Eli
Eli R
Wine guru

Postby Jonathan K » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:53 pm

I am very much looking forward to continuing the forum here. Guess I have to wait another day to see if Harry made it for the weekly Friday night wine thread.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby Loweeel » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:46 pm

Welcome!
http://PSychospath.com -- The PSychos' Path: the long road to being crazy about Petite Sirah
Loweeel
Ultra geek

Postby Matilda L » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:26 am

Finally made it! (Thanks, Cynthia!)

Back home after living a monkish existence in a small motel room in suburban Perth while doing a course at a local University, and now joining the new wine and food forum.

cheers
Matilda
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby Rotem Perets » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:12 am

I'm exited of being able to take part in this new-old journey.

Welcome & Thanks
Rotem Perets
Wine geek

Postby Janusz Omietanski » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:26 pm

Hi, welcome everybody. Following the MasterI have moved successfuly to our new home with some assistance by the administrator. Hope that all of us will be fine here .
Janusz (formerly Janusz100) Omietanski
Janusz Omietanski
Cellar rat

Postby Gedalya P » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:47 pm

Well, I've made the leap. And, if you're reading this, my posts work again. They didn't for the last month on the old list. Thank you all as always.
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
Gedalya P
Wine geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum