A New Bond / Friday Night wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

A New Bond / Friday Night wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:53 am

bsd
A long finish on a fine wine that lingers. Or a bond established that lasts for generations.
And tastes;the sweet taste of revenge,the powerfull taste of success.
Whatever it is,if its good we like it to last.
Have a good one; h
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: A New Bond / Friday Night wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:57 am

(-as an introduction to the post above,a week consists of seven days pretty much wherever one goes.As it culminates many people will have a glass of wine .After the weekend we invite you to tell us which wine it was..)
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Birger Vejrum » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:32 am

Harry J wrote:bsd
A long finish on a fine wine that lingers. Or a bond established that lasts for generations.
And tastes;the sweet taste of revenge,the powerfull taste of success.
Whatever it is,if its good we like it to last.
Have a good one; h

Hi Harry,

Now everything is back to normal, welcome Harry :D

Barolo "S. Stefano" 2001 from Giovanni Manzone, Monforte d´Alba. Last vintage from this wineyard :cry:

Your images may only be up to 600 pixels wide. :?

If disclaimers are used here I am a good friend of the family. :roll:

Ciao
Birger
Birger Vejrum
Ultra geek

Postby David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:36 am

No need to disclaim friendship - only commercial interest.

As for the images - too many large images slows down the response time for some folks who don't have great internet connections.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Birger Vejrum » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:43 am

David M. Bueker wrote:No need to disclaim friendship - only commercial interest.

As for the images - too many large images slows down the response time for some folks who don't have great internet connections.

Hi David,

OK, thanks.

My friend sells and import the wines as well :roll:

I found a way with the photos.

http://birger.fotoupload.dk/files/print ... p?fil=5070

http://birger.fotoupload.dk/files/print ... ?fil=12920

Ciao
Birger
Birger Vejrum
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:47 am

Assuming Harry's approval .... Sundown on Friday marks the onset of the Shabbat (Sabbath) and indeed it is traditional for many Jews (in American terms, orthodox, conservative, reform or other) to raise a glass of wine. Some will say a blessing over that wine, others will use this as a way to remind themselves of their Jewishness and yet others in order to keep alive memories and traditions. A rather pleasing habit, one of wine's varied cultured, civilized and civilizing traits.

As to this thread, which has been posted by Harry every week for quite a few years now, all are warmly welcome and there is no need whatever to be Jewish in order to participate.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby EY Han » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:47 pm

I am currently cooking one of the main dishes of this evening, which is cold green tea noodles (a derivative of Korean Soh-myun [noodles] according to my mother) in an anchovy/kelp? soup base and a couple other mystery dishes that my friend has prepared to bring over. The wines that will be accompanying the dinner are Carmel Appellation, Upper Galilee, Viognier, 2007 and the GHW Yarden Merlot, 2003 (first time tasting?).

Planned for Shabbat lunch are some vegatarian(?) dishes and salads by my flatmate who will be moving out in within a week and a half, and to accompany his beer the initial Kiddush blessing might be said over the brand new Tabor Pninim/Pearls, 2007, and then I will present another cooled bottle of the Yatir Shani Rosé, 2005 and a special treat for my roommate being the Dalton Reserve CS, 2004, as he hates Rosé and white wines…

Best wishes and Shabbat Shalom and a safe and restful weekend to all!
E.Y.
EY Han
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:53 pm

At the moment (18:45) sipping the 2001 Blanc de Blancs of the Golan Heights Winery, that accompanied by nothing but my pleasure. With dinner later on to an as yet undecided Italian red. I am currently leaning strongly towards a bottle of Antinori's 1997 Brunello. Decisions, decisions!!!

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Mike_F » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:58 pm

Our Friday night wine was a well-chilled Pelter Sauvignon Blanc 2007, crisp and very drinkable, went very well with a meal of sushi and noodles.

Shabbat shalom to all,

Mike
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
Mike_F
Ultra geek

Postby Doug Z » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:46 pm

dinner out with a bottle of xenius brut reserve cava, sparkling bubbles for a hot and humid but pleasant tel aviv evening with a lovely full moon.

watch out for the werewolves.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
Doug Z
Ultra geek

Postby T Shahar » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:35 pm

For Friday night we had the Carmel single vineyard, cabernet sauvignon, kerem zarit 2003. It is much better then the one from the Kayouni vineyard.
After the first glass we put it in the decanter and it got better after 3 hours, for me it was the best wine for Carmel that I had until now
It is also nice that it is only 13.5% Alco and it is not take over the taste of the wine like some other wines (GHW 14.5%...). Cheers for low alco wine!

The wine paired well with this dish (sorry it is in Hebrew) http://www.keshet-tv.com/item.aspx?Prog ... oupID=3080
--Tomer--
T Shahar
Ultra geek

Postby Josh Patt » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:19 pm

In the evening we had the 2003 Yarden Botrytis Semillon (we were eating at people who don't drink dry wine, so we took this along). Rich and complex, a very nice wine.

With lunch we had the 2004 Carmel Regional Galil Cabernet. A nice Cabernet that goes well with food.

Josh
Josh Patt
Ultra geek

Postby Eli R » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:56 pm

Hi,

As I posted earlier in the old forum, Friday night we had a family dinner in the wine room of a well known Tel-Aviv restaurant.
The wine was Golan Heights Wineries, CS Yarden 2001 for as a starter, of which we enjoyed two bottles.
The serving from the second bottle hit me on the nose with a burst of fresh black fruits.

Then, with the main course, which was steak or duck for the majority of the wine drinkers around the table, we had the CS Yarden 1997.
Much more mature than the 2001, but still showing quality in color, smell and taste.
The bottles in question were kept in the same fridge at 12 degrees for the last 8 years.

I had to pass on a baby Grouper as the main course and had the Sirloin steak to better match the wine.

Life sucks! :wink:

Eli

P.S. - just for Daniel, the Espresso was remarkable too!
Eli R
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:16 am

Hi, tried the Benhaim cabernet 2002 & enjoyed very much.After opening up discovered a full bodied wine with tastes of stewed plums with oak nuances.h
Daniel can you post the TN for this & for the BEhaim merlot 2002?Thanks.
Harry J
Wine guru

WTN: Benhaim Wines

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:44 am

Harry, Hello....

Following are my most recent tasting notes for the two wines in question. Be sure to note the tasting dates as they relate to the drinking windows and you will note that I now consider both of these wines well past their peak. I just added a post on this topic. Please see
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17092

Best
Rogov

Benhaim, Cabernet Sauvignon, Tradtion, 2002: A blend of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon rounded out by the addition of Merlot and Petite Sirah. Medium to full-bodied, with soft tannins and generous spicy oak matched by wild berry, cassis and on the moderate finish a hint of minty-chocolate. Drink now. Score 85. K (Re-tasted 16 Mar 2006)

Benhaim, Merlot, Tradition, 2002: Dark royal purple in color, medium-bodied, with soft tannins integrating nicely, this blend of 85% Merlot and 15% Cabernet Sauvignon and Petite Sirah that was oak-aged for 14 months is soft and round, with aromas and flavors of currants, purple plums and wild berries. Somewhat one-dimensional and showing signs of aging. Drink up. Score 85. K (Re-tasted 18 Oct 2005)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Barry K » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:11 am

Hi Friends

Friday eve we enjoyed a 2002 Carmel Limited.. Surprised to see that Rogov has shortened the outside drinking window from 2012 to 2010 . For me this wine has reached its peak only in the past 8-12 months . Now full bodied , concentrated fruits , long and plesant chocolaty finish.
For the shabbos lunch meal it was a Borgo Reale chianti 2006. Surprisingly full bodied wine with simple but subtle fruits , minimal finish .. Decent wine for the price point.

wishing all a successful and healthy week
Barry K
Ultra geek

Postby Menach N » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:17 pm

friday night i opened a Chteau Labegorce Margaux 2000 very nice wine this time a bit more quite on the palate then what i remember. still loved it.
day i opened a Baron... Rothschild 2003 much better then previus vintages but still needes a bit of polishing . nice wine.
a wonderfull week to all
Menach
Menach N
Ultra geek

Postby Yoni M » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:36 am

Hi Harry,

Friday night we had the Segal's, Merom Galil, Syrah, 2005. I was skeptical to begin with about trying this wine, but I needed a not-so-expensive Syrah for cooking, and at 50 NIS with with the appellation "Syrah" on the label, this fit the bill. Suffice it to say that it filled those latter needs nicely.
On Saturday which felt like a dry sauna outside we fell back on the Tabor, Adama, Rosé, 2007. After having tasted the Rosé wines of this vintage from Recanati, Galil Mountain, Dalton, Asif, Segal's, Benhaim, Tzora, I get the most enjoyment from that of Tabor. It is difficult to taste the Tabor blind versus the Recanati (the thin 500ml Tabor bottle versus the stout, almost decanter-like 750ml Recanati), but as I mentioned in the wine festival thread, the Recanati loses some fruit at the expense of the vegetal varietal characteristics of Cabernet Franc while somehow the Tabor remains fruity through and through.
Yoni M
Wine geek

Postby Harry J » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:48 am

But Yoni-how was the syrah?
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Jeff Adler » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi Harry - good to be on the new Board

Friday Nite we drank a Galil Mountain Merlot. Very easy to drink and a nice way to Start Shabbat.

Saturday for Lunch we had guests who wanted to try a shiraz or a Petite Sirah so we opened and finished off both a Recanati Reserve Shiraz and Recanati Reserve Petite Sirah - Zinfandel. They had not yet tried either wine and really enjoyed them.

Cheers

Jeff
Jeff Adler
Wine geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum