The Latest Useless Gadget

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

The Latest Useless Gadget

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:25 pm

From time to time a wine-related gadget appears that makes me wonder just how correct P.T. Barnum might have been. The latest such gadget (I prefer the word "chupchik") to make its way to me (thankfully only by email and not in the flesh) is Ravi.

Ravi is basically a nozzle that fits on the end of wine bottles and, as your pour is said to lower the temperature to whatever you consider ideal for that wine. As the brochure has it " Ravi is based on the innovative concept of cooling wine at the very moment it’s served. It’s not the bottle that is cooled, but the wine itself. The cooling process takes place as the wine passes through ravi. With an internal tube made from the same stainless steel used for fermentation tanks, ravi maintains the wine’s characteristics and never alters the taste. ."

Odd, I had never thought that a temperature controlled wine would harm the flavor of a wine. In fact, even the good old refrigerator (or ice-box for those who don't have refrigerators) will cool the bottle and thus the ingredients inside as well and do minimal if any harm at all to the wine in those bottles.

But then again, ravi is said to consist of two components – the first which is kept in the freezer and the second, the part that goes into the neck of the bottle, stored with kitchen utensils.

And all that for a measily US$50. Anyone want to try it? If so, you can order at
http://chillyourwine.com/ . Me, I'll give this one the same miss that I give magnets and breathable glasses.

Best
Rogov
pour.jpg
pour.jpg (8.17 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
Attachments
pour2.png
pour2.png (31.57 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: The Latest Useless Gadget

Postby Ian Sutton » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:49 pm

Maybe we could come up with our own (unnecessary) ideas :idea: :oops:

For starters, a device that pumps wine directly from an upright bottle via a handy hose, into the wine glasses without having to tip the bottle / disturb sediment.

Or, along the lines of the 1st post, a glass that itself is refrigerated to a constant temperature to ensure the wine is drunk at the optimum :roll: temperature.

I'm definitely of the attitude that the key gadgets for enjoying wine are:
- A bottle of wine
- A glass
- A corkscrew (though this may be unnessecary in a couple of decades)

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Postby Peter May » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:25 pm

Talk about over-engineered solutions for problems that do not exist.

And look at all the parts you have to clean.

If you can remember to keep part of the gubbins in a freezer ready for the occasion when you forget to cool a wine, then you could remember to keep a chill-sleeve that costs a fraction of the price and quickly and simply chills your wine. And doesn't have parts, and doesn't need cleaning after every use.

And isn't it ugly....
Peter May
Pinotage Advocate

Postby Peter May » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:27 pm

And do you see the way he's holding the wine by its neck?
Peter May
Pinotage Advocate

Postby Eli R » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:40 am

Here is another one....
Venturi.JPG
Venturi.JPG (18.44 KiB) Viewed 1592 times

Already imported and available in Israel. Was shown at the Haarez Museum wine fair by Wine&Only.

Eli
Eli R
Wine guru

Postby Gary J » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:22 pm

There are an endless stream of gadgets that supposedly enhance wine on the market these days. From various wine bottle openers and enclosures to wine glasses that aerate the wine, etc.

Wine has become BIG BUSINESS!
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
Gary J
Ultra geek

Postby Neil Courtney » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:11 pm

Did someone mention snake oil? Even if it is cold to start it will be the same temperature as the wine very quickly, and it will be at room temperature well before the end of your meal if the bottle is sitting on your dining room table. And I wonder why the bottle in the ice bucket starts out at room temperature when the bottle from the cellar starts at 17 degrees. Methinks there is some strange science going on here.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
Neil Courtney
Wine guru

Postby Paul Winalski » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:59 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:For starters, a device that pumps wine directly from an upright bottle via a handy hose, into the wine glasses without having to tip the bottle / disturb sediment.

Hey, I actually own one of those! But it doesn't pump the wine--it dispenses it under slight pressure from a nitrogen tank. This is how nitrogen dispensers work. But the don't-disturb-the-sediment dispensing isn't the main purpose of the device--it's to avoid oxidation by replacing the ullage with inert nitrogen as the wine is dispensed.

-Paul W.
Paul Winalski
Wok Wielder

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:39 pm

Well, here's another one. Guaranteed to preserve an open bottle of wine for 10 days. Might even work. The question is, who in the world wants to keep an open bottle of wine for 10 days? See the promo at http://www.sowine-bar.com/

Best
Rogov
Attachments
sowine.jpg
sowine.jpg (22.03 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Thomas » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:25 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:From time to time a wine-related gadget appears that makes me wonder just how correct P.T. Barnum might have been.

Rogov
pour.jpg

Daniel, just for the record: A Barnum competitor in hoaxes, George Hull, of Binghamton, New York was the man who said that a sucker is born every minute. Barnum, who became more well known, was tagged with the statement after a court case about a particular hoax of Hull's doing.
Thomas
Senior Flamethrower

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum