The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: N.V. Viñedos do los Vientos Tannat Alcyone Uruguay.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: N.V. Viñedos do los Vientos Tannat Alcyone Uruguay.

by Bob Ross » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:00 pm

N.V. Viñedos do los Vientos Tannat Alcyone Uruguay Coastal Region Atlàntida Uruguay. $27.99/500ml at Beekman in Glen Rock, New Jersey. This is an unusual dessert wine: Deep honey gold color, medium hue, very restrained aromas, but an explosion of tastes -- honey, flowers, mint, chocolate, coffee, leather, earth, remarkably complex. Long finish. No hint of Tannat -- a rich complex dessert wine that you probably should drink a couple of ounces a night. Best around 50F -- or perhaps a bit warmer to start, warming up in the hand and releasing even more complexity. 5*. Great QPR.

Here are Joel Mitchel's notes:

"A remarkable dessert wine from, of all places, Uruguay! It is made from Tannat, a rustic varietal from southwestern France (Madiran) that has found a home in Uruguay. Although Tannat usually makes intense wines featuring red fruits and tannin, solera-style aging has tamed this sweet version into a smooth, refined beauty. Uruguayan table wines are acceptable at best, but this is delicious. Think caramel and vanilla! Think yummm!"

Winemaker's notes:

"Alcyone a Greek demi-goddess,was the daughter of Eolo and wife of Ceyx. They were very happy together, but then Ceyx perished in a shipwreck and Alcyone in despair threw herself into the sea. Out of compassion, the gods changed her into a halcyon bird. Since Alcyone made her nest on the beach, and waves threatened to destroy it, Eolo restrained his winds and made the waves be calm during seven days, so she could lay her eggs. These became known as the "halcyon days", when storms never occur. Alcyone became the goddess of clam and tranquility. As the story ends with tranquility, so does the longsome finish of our Tannat Dessert wine. Alcyone is our grandmother´s recipe, which has been kept within the family´s secrets for decades.Today we want to share this wine with our friends from around the world.

"Our Tannat Dessert wine, it to instills a calmness with its polished tannins, radiant yet amber purple hue and its honey like texture. Touched with a bouquet of winter flowers, Madagascan vanilla bean and wild apple mint indulged with a warmth and savor of white cacao souffle. As the story ends with tranquility, so does the longsome finish of our wine."
16% alcohol.

Importer's notes: "T. Edward Wines, Ltd NY, NY:

Vinedo de los Vientos is one of Uruguay’s youngest wineries, not because it was founded just a few years ago, nor because it’s equipped with the state-of-art technology, but because of the youth of it's proprietors. Pablo Fallabrino and Ulysses L. Gonzalez are cousins with a modern vision of viticulture and an "Old World" winemaking style. Being descendents of Italian and Spanish immigrants has clearly influenced both their pioneering philosophy and Old World style.

The tiny 5000 case production is a result of nothing but highly concentrated estate fruit. The vineyard is located near the eastern coastal city of Atlantida, which is situated 4km from the Atlantic Ocean. All the planted varietals are situated in a "single lot" plantation method, which forces them into small yields and great concentration."

Trust me, folks -- this wine is a whiff! You may hate it, but it's the best ride in Uruguayan wines I've ever tasted.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: N.V. Viñedos do los Vientos Tannat Alcyone Uruguay.

by James Roscoe » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:28 pm

Who is the importer?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:32 pm

T. Edwards Wines, NY, NY: http://www.tedwardwines.com/

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:49 pm

As always, thank you. I don't recognize the importer. They may not get down our way, although most people want in on the DC market. I will check around.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:03 am

Goodness me, will never find that one up here!! I find the description from Bob very educational.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:20 am

I loved that "longsome finish" descriptor from the winemaker, Bob. Reminded me of something Joyce might have written in Ulysses, or perhaps did. :-)
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:46 am

This sounds great, Bob. Yet another wine to add to the dessert list. thanks