The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Cantemerle, Haut-Médoc, 1999

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

DaveWest

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:58 pm

WTN: Cantemerle, Haut-Médoc, 1999

by DaveWest » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:02 pm

Cantemerle, Haut-Médoc, 1999
This wine set me back $20...And then set me back $240 after I decided I needed an entire case of it.

Tastes smooth, cherry, a light pencil lead in the background.
Tastes almost sweet when enjoyed with a grilled, seasonsed steak.
Ever so light earthy aromas (which I love).
Only 12.5% alcohol (I'm not a fan of super alcoholic, fruit bomb wines).

Only issue is that it could have a little more structure...So it also won't last more than a day. But it is delicious that first day.

WHAT THEY SAY
(About the 2001 vintage, which sounds similar)

According to The Wine Spectator: "...blackberry, cherry and spice aromas and flavors. Medium-bodied, with firm, silky tannins and a slightly austere finish. Needs some bottle age to come around. Best after 2007." (03/04 and 03/02) According to Robert Parker: "...possesses sweet tannin, medium body, and a light but nicely etched style. Enjoy it over the next 10-12 years." (06/04) K&L's notes - Solid wine. Earthy, old-school style. Plenty of structure. Should be a fine value.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Cantemerle, Haut-Médoc, 1999

by Saina » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:07 am

Sounds like my sort of Bx. Funny, this is a well regarded property, but I don't think have ever managed a taste of it. I would have thought that with the huge amounts made of most Bx wines, I would have run across this at some point.

I think many 99s are drinking very well now and are indeed sweetly fruity. From your description this seems above all like a true terroir wine, i.e. I need to search for this more actively.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Cantemerle, Haut-Médoc, 1999

by Jenise » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:14 pm

Dave,

I also was a case buyer of this wine, and the last bottle I had about six to nine months ago showed a little differently than yours. It seemed just a tad too taut so I deliberately left a bit for the next day, and it improved. Thank god (for us consumers) that Parker has never succombed to Cantemerle's charms--what a great value it is.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov