The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

wine 2006

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas Wong

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:48 pm

Vancouver

wine 2006

by Thomas Wong » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:01 pm

I just became first time father this spring, a baby girl name Azalea, I like to purchase some good wine for her future wedding... any suggestions please, bordeaux 2006 any idea now? the weather so far looks good :wink:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: wine 2006

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:15 pm

I have little to offer on Bordeaux, but I will say this: Welcome to the forum and big-time congratulations on the birth of your daughter!!!! I have two and I can tell you that nothing in the world matches having a little girl call you, "Daddy".

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:31 pm

Thomas Wong wrote:I just became first time father this spring, a baby girl name Azalea, I like to purchase some good wine for her future wedding... any suggestions please, bordeaux 2006 any idea now? the weather so far looks good :wink: [/list]

Congratulations! There is nothing like a little girl. Keep the memories they get old fast. I have three and my youngest is 14.

Port is the traditional wine to purchase. It's the one that will hold for 20 - 30 years. The question is whether 2006 will be a vintage year. You just don't know yet. You might ask Roy Hersch as he is the expert in all things Port.

If you must have Bordeaux, the 2006 futures for Bordeaux will go on sale next year. The usual suspects will probably hold up, depending on what type of vintage we get this year. It will undoubtedly be another vintage of the century. (Aren't they all?) If you want '06 you need to be patient.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:50 pm

Thomas Wong wrote:I just became first time father this spring, a baby girl name Azalea, I like to purchase some good wine for her future wedding... any suggestions please, bordeaux 2006 any idea now? the weather so far looks good :wink: [/list]

Welcome to the forum Thomas and good luck with the family. Good to see a fellow Canadian here!! Lets shake `em up!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:09 am

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the birth of your daughter!

Bear in mind the 2006 vintage is still on the vines, so you have some time before the purchase decision needs to be made.

Consider also where you will safely store and mature the wine for 20+ years .
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:16 am

Thomas!!!!!!! [big hug]
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:12 pm

Thomas Wong wrote:I just became first time father this spring, a baby girl name Azalea, I like to purchase some good wine for her future wedding... any suggestions please, bordeaux 2006 any idea now? the weather so far looks good :wink:

Thomas, it's nice to see you again!

As the others have said, it's really too early to speak about the 2006 vintage (except perhaps in the Southern Hemisphere), as there's still plenty of time for Mother Nature to dish out just about anything. Remember at this point during the 2002 vintage in Europe, everything was looking great! And then the floods came ...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:21 pm

Thomas, has your email address changed? A note I sent you four-five days ago came back.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:08 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Port is the traditional wine to purchase. It's the one that will hold for 20 - 30 years. The question is whether 2006 will be a vintage year. You just don't know yet. You might ask Roy Hersch as he is the expert in all things Port.

Unfortunately it would seem that hail has made port a bad option this year. :(
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:11 pm

Gosh... Congratulations!

Go ahead and pay off the medical bills and worry about wine later. The wines for long keeping will not come out for another 2-4 years, or more. You cannot even learn about them until after harvest.

Perhaps the Aussie 2006 harvest details are out. But most wines from there are not long agers. Look for Grange, which has the best track record for long keeping.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:06 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Unfortunately it would seem that hail has made port a bad option this year. :(

Of course, Otto is just the expert. Thanks for the update. Was there hail anywhere else in Iberia?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:10 pm

Congrats Thomas. One thing to also keep in mind is the possibility that she might not like to drink wine. I have four daughters and four granddaughters (as well as three grandsons). None of these has much taste for wine though one will have some White Zin once in a while. Have heard the same story from other geeks. Therefore, recommend getting something you will like and be able to enjoy at that time just in case. At either rate I would recommend a Brunello. The '06s won't be released until '013, and won't be ready to drink until '21. Good ones will hold until '27. :P
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:13 pm

Thomas Wong wrote:I just became first time father this spring, a baby girl name Azalea

Congrats, Thomas!

Now the fun begins :wink:
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:33 pm

Congratulations Thomas,
My suggestion is that if 2006 is a 'great' vintage in the Moselle, then the wine to buy will be Auslese. It will be tightly bound when young, but with its (usually) high sulphur content and high acidity, it becomes a viable 20-plus year cellaring proposition. By the time you open it, this sweet wine will have beautifully balanced sugar and acidity, the sulphur will have done its preservation job and you won't notice that at all. You will have a gorgeous drink that most people - parents, grandparents and your children and their friends will all enjoy - and it shouldn't cost a bomb to start with - as Bordeaux and Port will.
Cheers,
Sue

PS All wine (except for wines that fall apart within months of bottling) have sulphur added at some stage in the winemaking process. In some German Rieslings, the sulphur component seems to have been a bit heavy handed, which is why you might get a struck match nuance when opening some wines too young.
no avatar
User

Thomas Wong

Rank

Cellar rat

Vancouver

by Thomas Wong » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:44 pm

Highly appreciated the posts and the welcome from the family. 50 years
old to become 1st time father, I have to prepare more for Azalea, well you are right, if she is not drinking...I will leave her a note and tell her to post here for the the members to drink up, Robin make sure your site still here after 20+ years, long live the WineLoverspage !!!

Jenise, my email remain same tw5555@hotmail.com, I phoned you up last week when I was in the States and left message with your voice mail.
I will be free to drink again coming weekend... can't wait![/img]
no avatar
User

Thomas Wong

Rank

Cellar rat

Vancouver

by Thomas Wong » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:40 pm

Sue, Can you more specific with Moselle for age over 20 years and what are the good ones? Thanks
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:45 am

Hi Thomas,
Not really, as the wines that actually come to NZ are limited. I Just know that old ones I've had from good years are superb.
I am sure there are German Riesling experts that would be happy to answer your question - perhaps if you make a new separate posting.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:42 pm

Congrats Thomas, from someone in the same boat a little earlier in the year! Aren't daughters the cutest?! I think we'll have to wait to see how the vintage shapes up across the world first before making predcitions, but ask this again around this time next year and maybe I'll come up with some suggestions.
no avatar
User

Thomas Wong

Rank

Cellar rat

Vancouver

by Thomas Wong » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:00 pm

Congradulation to you too...I do enjoy everyday with her, observing her changes, it so wonderful, I am really happy that I got a baby girl at my age. please to hear your result of findings.

Wonder how I can post my daughter's pic here?? [/img]