Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Do you use a rice steamer? Need some info., please

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Do you use a rice steamer? Need some info., please

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:06 pm

I'm interested in rice steamers. Went to a local kitchen shop today and they have the Cuisinart and Zojirushi. Both cook fish, veggies, rice, couscous, have a keep warm feature, all of which I would like in the unit I purchase. What experience have you had with them and are they worth having?
I did read some reviews and it seems the biggest complaint is they are messy while cooking, drops of water spouting out, etc.
I just don't want to buy this product and have it end up in the closet.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: Do you use a rice steamer? Need some info., please

by Randy Buckner » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:15 am

What experience have you had with them and are they worth having?

None whatsoever -- we don't eat enough rice to warrant a cooker. However, we have dear friends who are Vietnamese, living in an extended family situation -- lots of rice going out the kitchen door. They use a 20-cup Zojirushi, and I know it gets a workout, Karen.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Re: Do you use a rice steamer? Need some info., please

by John F » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:40 am

We just moved to Japan and have one in our apartment. I've never used it for anything other than rice but for rice it's terrific. Super easy to use and rice is perfect every time. HAd a problem once with water spouting out but that was because I put in way too m uch (I don't read Japanese well!) - not an issue with the machine