The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Vergelegen Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 (Stellenbosch, Sh Af

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

WTN: Vergelegen Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 (Stellenbosch, Sh Af

by Peter May » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:31 pm

This is the reasonable priced Cabernet at around £12, (more like £8 when I bought it) not the estate wine called just Vergelegen at twice+ that or the new top of range 'V' at £40.

And it was damned good. Rich silky deep blackcurrant fruit, integrated tannins, perfectly balanced. Will it keep? Not if its in my cellar. I think it is perfect now and just wish I had more.

Is Vergelegen SA's best winery? I'm thinking so.
no avatar
User

Jake Parrott

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm

Bristow, VA

Re: TN: Vergelegen Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 (Stellenbosch, Sh

by Jake Parrott » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:36 am

Peter May wrote:This is the reasonable priced Cabernet at around £12, (more like £8 when I bought it) not the estate wine called just Vergelegen at twice+ that or the new top of range 'V' at £40.

And it was damned good. Rich silky deep blackcurrant fruit, integrated tannins, perfectly balanced. Will it keep? Not if its in my cellar. I think it is perfect now and just wish I had more.

Is Vergelegen SA's best winery? I'm thinking so.

It's certainly in the frame--although I've never had a shiraz from there that wasn't volatile (not that that's the only place in Helderberg/Faure that has that issue).

But one of the best SA wines I've ever had may be the 2001 regular SB, tasted in February 2005. Serious, serious class. I wish more SA farms would try to make SB in that style, or perhaps even more canted toward white Bordeaux.
Jake Parrott
The Wild Grape, LLC
Importing small-production wines from South Africa.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 am

Jake Parrott wrote: [It's certainly in the frame--although I've never had a shiraz from there that wasn't volatile

But one of the best SA wines I've ever had may be the 2001 regular SB, tasted in February 2005. Serious, serious class. I wish more SA farms would try to make SB in that style, or perhaps even more canted toward white Bordeaux.

I've never had their shiraz but their Sauvignon Blanc is a regular in my my house. We're drinking the 2005 now. If you like that, howabout L'Avenir's SB? I'm also a big fan of Springfield 'Life from Stone' which is a lot edgier. In fact, we're having it tonight since we had the Vergelegen last week and the L'Avenir the week before. (I'm rotating through them)
no avatar
User

Jake Parrott

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm

Bristow, VA

by Jake Parrott » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:14 am

Peter May wrote:I've never had their shiraz but their Sauvignon Blanc is a regular in my my house. We're drinking the 2005 now. If you like that, howabout L'Avenir's SB? I'm also a big fan of Springfield 'Life from Stone' which is a lot edgier. In fact, we're having it tonight since we had the Vergelegen last week and the L'Avenir the week before. (I'm rotating through them)

I don't know the L'Avenir wine; I do like Springfield (try their cab!). We import an SB (from Cathy Marshall's side project, BWC) sourced from Faure that sees a fair amount of lees contact--it gives the wine a bit more of a white Bordeaux character. I argue with her about the wine--I think it's a serious wine, she thinks it's a bit frivolous.

I wish a few more guys in SA (including Cathy) would try to make a less NZ style, using extended lees contact and a bit of old wood; there are appropriately gravelly sites that I think would express, at least as vines get older.
Jake Parrott
The Wild Grape, LLC
Importing small-production wines from South Africa.