The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - Some recent wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

WTN - Some recent wines

by John S » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:57 pm

Hi all, a first post after lurking for several years.

• 2002 Mt. Difficulty Pinot Noir - New Zealand, South Island, Central Otago
    Classic pinot color (an almost irridescent light ruby) and nose (earthy notes, cherries, strawberries, with a hint of herbs). Medium bodied, fairly elegant flavours of cherries, rasberries and a hint of earth and spices, and a lovely silky texture. Took a peak at other notes, but his bottle wasn't a huge pinot at all. Nicely balanced and even restrained. Certainly not an old world style, but not an in your face New World wine at all. (B+/A-)
  • N.V. Yalumba Muscat Museum Release - Australia, Victoria, North East, Rutherglen
    Hazy notes from a few days ago. Not as impressed as I had hoped with this Oz stickie. A little cloying, but certainly rich, tasty and variety correct. Very good, but not excellent in my books. (B+)
  • 2000 Tatachilla Shiraz Foundation - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale
    Deep purple in color, with elegant, smoky plums, blueberries and a bit of chocolate milk on the nose. The palate is wonderfully smooth and silky - what great mouthfeel and seamless texture. There's still a hint of milkshake here (but less than before), but there's a bright flash of classy fruit (mainly plums and blueberries) and nicely integrated oak too. Rich and ripe, but not over the top. This was marginally better than the first bottle, and will hopefully keep improving over the next few years. (A-)
  • 2001 Celler Marti Fabra Empordà-Costa Brava Masia Carreras - Spain, Catalunya, Empordà-Costa Brava
    This wine is from the Costa Brava region of Spain, a blend of mainly old vine grenache (50%) and carignan (35%). Deep ruby with purple hues, and a nice nose of earthy redfruits, pomegranates, iodine and a hint of menthol. The medium-full bodied palate is velvety smooth, full of deep redfruits with slight, ripe tannins on the finish. Mouthfilling, tasty flavours here, and an interesting, well made wine. Ready now, but certainly cellarable too, and should develop more complexity on the way. (A-)

FWIW, my scoring 'system' is:
A: outstanding (93 JS pts +)
A-: excellent wine (90-92)
B+: very good (87-89)
B: OK (86-84)
B-: Bleh (80-83)

Just what the world needs, another scoring system!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN - Some recent wines

by Jenise » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:11 pm

JOHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

The Tatachilla gava you awaya. :) I saw your other post on that wine and your first bottle and it made me ponder my single experience with their wines, at the winery in fact when they would have been pouring the 98's.

Really good to see you here. Are you back in the southland?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:34 am

Mr. Sprow, I presume? Good seeing you here!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:48 am

John S wrote:Hi all, a first post after lurking for several years.

Hey John - about time you dropped by to add some needed Canadian content (even if it is from the frostbitten nether regions of the province)

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:34 pm

Welcome aboard.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:38 pm

Welcome out from the shadows, John!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:55 pm

Welcome!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:16 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:

Hey John - about time you dropped by to add some needed Canadian content (even if it is from the frostbitten nether regions of the province)

Needed Canadian content?? What do you thunk ave ben duing!!! OK, they are more literate in BC.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:51 pm

Thanks to all for the welcomes!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:24 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Needed Canadian content?? What do you thunk ave ben duing!!! OK, they are more literate in BC.

Bob, I didn't mean to slight Albertans. Whenever you guys can pry yourselves off the sheep, your contributions verge on the understandable (sometimes)!

Look out - here comes Bob! Ruuuunn!! I think he's got a bottle of cab and a hungry look about him......
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:45 am

John, after applauding your Euro-travel post in the travel section, it occurs to me that I haven't taken a moment to welcome you to the wine group. Glad you spoke up ... it's never too late! We'll look forward to talking with you often about wine.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:29 am

Bill Spohn wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Needed Canadian content?? What do you thunk ave ben duing!!! OK, they are more literate in BC.

Bob, I didn't mean to slight Albertans. Whenever you guys can pry yourselves off the sheep, your contributions verge on the understandable (sometimes)!

Look out - here comes Bob! Ruuuunn!! I think he's got a bottle of cab and a hungry look about him......

Nah, we are all off to the Carignan convention!!!

http://www.closdugravillas.com/carignanrenaissance.htm