The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 summer whites (Brocard and Babich)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2 summer whites (Brocard and Babich)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:06 pm

With lemon chicken, potatoes, and zucchini, the 2004 JM Brocard "Domaine Ste. Claire" Chablis AC. Good acidity, some lemon notes over a mineral base. Classic style for a regional Chablis, but could use a bit more concentration. B

Also tried the Chablis the following night with a recipe of panko-scallion crusted cod from Ming Tsai. The dish totally overwhelmed the Chablis, so we switched to a SB (what Ming suggested). 2005 Babich Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough). Nicely fruity, with grapefruit and gooseberry, a hint of grass. Fruit's balanced by zippy acidity. There's also a mild jalapeno note on the finish. Much better match with the dish. I stopped buying Babich for a vintage or two, seems they're back on track. Nice QPR and nice screwcap. B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.  
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: 2 summer whites (Brocard and Babich)

by James Roscoe » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:14 pm

What did the Babich cost locally? If it's a good QPR should it be widely available? It sounds familiar, but I'm not sure I've seen this producer before.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:35 pm

What kind of closure was on the Brocard. I had some of the 2002, but the cork quality was so bad that they died a quick death.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:50 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:What kind of closure was on the Brocard. I had some of the 2002, but the cork quality was so bad that they died a quick death.

I thought Brocard only has screwcaps? At least all the ones imported here do...

Nice notes Dale. I've usually rather enjoyed Brocard's Chabliss (looks funny when you try to put it in the plural, no?) but have never found them really memorable. Well made and true to style though. And gladly not overtly oaky as so many these days are. When is that trend going to go away in Chablis?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:27 pm

Babich was $9.xx
Brocard was natural cork I believe. I tend to like Chablis young (with a few exceptions such as R & V Dauvvisat and Louis Michel), I've never had a problem with cork failure in the short period I've held Brocards. I don't think Brocard is in the absolute top tier of Chablis, but I tend to like Brocard for 2 reasons:
1) clean unoaked style
2) cheap (I can usually get the Vaillons and Montmains 1ers for well under $20)
I actually like the very cheap Brocard Bourgogne "Kimmeridgien" a lot too (at least in past-haven't seen lately).
I wouldn't say the 2004 Domaine Ste Claire is something I'd go looking for, but it might be a good option on a pedestrian wine list.
If you want serious unoaked Chablis Louis Michel is a big step up, but I can't afford it as regularly,.
no avatar
User

Patchen (Chicago)

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:57 pm

Chicago, IL

by Patchen (Chicago) » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:55 am

I had an 02 Brocard Vaucoupin the other night that was really fantastic -- I'm a Brocard fan too for the reasons you mention, but this one was unusually complex and we hit it on a good night.

Thanks for the notes --

cheers

Patchen
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:34 pm

Dale Williams wrote: I tend to like Chablis young (with a few exceptions such as R & V Dauvvisat and Louis Michel), I've never had a problem with cork failure in the short period I've held Brocards.

I assume that your preference for young Chablis is limited to village-level and 1ers, or do you also like your GC's young? (Or, another possibility, you don't buy GC Chablis). FWIW, I can agree with you up to the point of GC, but there I want 5+ years in a good year to let it come together.

Mark Lipton