The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Some more Muscadet, this time the `03 vintage!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Some more Muscadet, this time the `03 vintage!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:41 am

Quite a few forumites seem to be in the Muscadet mood this month, so happy to post some notes on a couple from the very hot vintage in `03.

WTN: `03 Pepiere (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sevre-et-Maine.

My second bottle as we wait for the tugboat to bring us the latest vintage! The colour was quite pale with a very watery rim. On the nose, I found apple some herbs and the typical sea-shore stones.
The `03 is as ripe and tropical as I expected from this abnormal vintage. More of a summer sipper than a serious shellfish coupling. Good acids and quite minerally, some citrus but lacks true typicity. Needs more steelyness and that oyster shell quality.
This would be a nice wine for those new to the Loire/Muscadet, more approachable than others out there. Lets be honest, true examples have more acidity and a dry minerally steel quality to them (in my book anyway).

WTN: `03 Chereau-Carre Muscadet de Sevre-et-Maine Cuvee des Ceps Centenaires Ch.de Chasseloir.

Historic vineyards with vines 100 yrs old. The Cuvee des Ceps is known as one of the better Muscadets around. 12% alc and nicely chilled, was great with shrimp tossed in a lemon garlic butter sauce.

Colour. Lively looking light straw, hardly any legs here.

Nose. Flinty, oyster shells--seems true to form! The grassiness reminds me of a SB found you-know-where.

Palate. Slight spritz on initial entry and just love the un-zippy acidity here. Yup, its ripe but nice one. Crisp, nice balance, memorable aftertaste. Pear, apple, juicy lemon finish. I really like the mid-palate, slight herby streak and big finish. Fruit purity was remarked on by fellow tasters. One taster found it a tad un-typical so we had to explain the vintage conditions. "Leesy" character not understood by some present!

** after 24hrs, and vacu-vin, no downturn for this one. More gavelly on the nose, palate has some melon on the finish. Must try again, I`m hooked. Cost was $20.00 Cdn.
I see from my cellar book, I have the regular `04 offering. Up next with more shrimp.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Some more Muscadet, this time the `03 vintage!

by Saina » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:14 pm

Thanks Bob, nice notes as usual! Looks like you got two relatively successful 03s! There are a couple others which I'd gladly drink also if served, but there was not a single one in 03 which I felt compelled to buy. When you get the next vintages, do report on them, please! I know I'm not the only Muscadet fan around...though the others are strangely quiet.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: Some more Muscadet, this time the `03 vintage!

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:23 pm

Good notes, Roberto. The Chereau sounds pretty nice for that vintage.