The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Want to be a reality TV star? As a winemaker? Audition notice here.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Want to be a reality TV star? As a winemaker? Audition notice here.

by Bob Ross » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:04 pm

THE WINE MAKERS is a new television series slated for PBS that leaves behind the predictable world of food and travel programs for the unscripted territory of real life wine makers. Following in the tradition of hit series such as NBC’s “The Apprentice” and PBS’s “Frontier House,” this premier season of THE WINE MAKERS joins six men and women from all walks of life as they compete for a chance to create and launch their very own wine label. The series is a co-production of PBS affiliate SCETV and Doc City Productions and will air nationwide in the Spring of 2007. DCP is currently casting for THE WINE MAKERS in Atlanta, Austin, Dallas, New York, San Francisco, Boston, Charleston (SC), Nashville, Kansas City, San Jose, Washington DC, Chicago, Miami, Seattle, Paso Robles (CA), Los Angles, Sydney, London, Paris and Tokyo. If you're interested in auditioning, please click on the current casting calls page for details about eligibility and upcoming casting call dates.

http://www.doccitytv.com/pages/1/index.htm

Bloomberg ran a human interest story on one of the tryouts in New York City, written by one of the sifting and winnowing judges:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000088&sid=a10eXGnF0nPE&refer=culture

Looks like anyone can try out: "But also among the first six are a headhunter in accounting, an employee from the Jewish Museum and a safety engineer at Chubb Insurance, who says, ``I've always wanted to make wine ever since I started drinking 27 years ago.''

Philippe Newlin, who is 41 and worked in sales and trading at Calyon Bank until last December, admits, ``I'm in a little bit of a midlife crisis.'' He's already planted a quarter-acre vineyard at his house on Long Island.

While most are looking to make fun, easy-drinking reds at a good price point, pony-tailed Brooklynite Michael Whitehead, a 43-year-old bass player with L.A.-based band Mojo Rib, says, ``I like my wines to grab me by the neck. I'd make one that could go with heavy metal, like Colgin.''

Presumably he thinks the Napa cult cab is a match for his music, described on the band's Website as ``high octane and 100% irony free.''

Regards, Bob