The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Tasting Notes and Decanting Info

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Tasting Notes and Decanting Info

by Redwinger » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:23 pm

I've noticed that only a small minority of notes posted here and elsewhere make any mention of whether the wine was decanted and, if so, for how long. I seldom mention this in my notes, probably out of sheer laziness, but I'm curious why this isn't factored into notes more often. Opinions?
Curly
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Tasting Notes and Decanting Info

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:54 pm

Redwinger wrote:I've noticed that only a small minority of notes posted here and elsewhere make any mention of whether the wine was decanted and, if so, for how long. I seldom mention this in my notes, probably out of sheer laziness, but I'm curious why this isn't factored into notes more often. Opinions?
Curly

Speaking only for myself, I almost never decant. Vintage Port with loads of sediment, that's about it.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:10 pm

I'll decant older wines when I'm expecting sediment. I think I should decant younger wines amongst others, but I guess I'm happy enough to see it come round in the glass.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:17 pm

I usually post whether I've decant and a time mark or two if the wine changes drastically after opening.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:35 pm

Well, it's a good point. Most of the time, my notes are taken at tastings, not actually sitting down at the table with a bottle, and while I may note that a wine probably needs decanting, I'm just guessing as to how long.

There are exceptions: I remember the '02 LeFlaive "Cuvee Margot," back when you could still get a decent Bourgogne for fifteen bucks. I tried it with one hour, two hours, three hours, and four hours time in the decanter, and decided that 3 hours was about right.

Another was a Grumello, can't remember whose at the moment, but it was an '01 and tight as a tick. Two hours was the minimum, and frankly, it didn't really get its legs under it until the next day!

One last, and I'll never forget it, because it was a white: Nigl Gruner Veltliner '99. The way to go was to open it on the morning of the evening you wanted to drink it, pour it into a decanter, pour it back into the bottle, put the cork back in, and leave it in the fridge for at least eight hours.

Now that I think about it, maybe this is why I don't mention decanting in my notes. People will think I'm nuts. :D
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:47 pm

Robin, since you don't often decant here is a challenge for you. IIRC you have a couple bottles of the 1996 Musar whites. The challenge is for you to decant the next bottle that you open for 10-12 hours and see what the results are. If you think that this ruined the wine and or made it unpleasant to drink I will replace it with a bottle of the 1998 Musar white. Let me know. BTW, I also don't often decant, but have of late been thinking that maybe I should do so a bit more often.
Bob Henrick