The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WineLoversPage.com receives nice mention in Revue des vins de France

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WineLoversPage.com receives nice mention in Revue des vins de France

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:26 am

Randy R wrote:Bravo!

Well thanks ... and David from Switzerland ought to take a bow - the story that drew Decanter's praise was his.

My only slight quibble - and I said this at the time of the Decanter report - is that as a long-time digital publisher, I'm not sure I buy the print media's argument that Web media is significantly different. This strikes me as a defensive posture: They don't need to consider digital media real competition as long as they can declare it some kind of a different, inconquential niche thing.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:34 am

Actually Robin, did you ever get the copy of Decanter I sent to you?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:41 am

I'm not sure I buy the print media's argument that Web media is significantly different.

One big difference I see -- anyone with a computer can blog away, whether it is right or wrong in punctuation, spelling or facts -- no one is there to check or edit them. They can spew vitriol, or they can sing undeserved praise. Who is there to stop them?

Have you ever noticed how many wine sites have popped up on the computer?! I was Googling for a wine history fact for an article -- I found about seven different answers for the same question I was looking for. This doesn't mean the print media does not screw up as well -- they do -- but I personally trust it over someone's blog.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:43 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Actually Robin, did you ever get the copy of Decanter I sent to you?

You know, David, I had forgotten all about that. I don't think it ever came. Long story, but we've been between regular mail carriers for months, and the temporaries are horrible. Our postal mail is less reliable than E-mail. :(
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:45 am

Randy Buckner wrote:This doesn't mean the print media does not screw up as well -- they do -- but I personally trust it over someone's blog.

I hear what you're saying, but wander down to your local Barnes & Noble some time and look at the magazine department. We're in an age where pretty much anyone who wants to can publish a magazine - print or digital. Some are carefully produced and edited. Some are not.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:55 am

Robin Garr wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Actually Robin, did you ever get the copy of Decanter I sent to you?

You know, David, I had forgotten all about that. I don't think it ever came. Long story, but we've been between regular mail carriers for months, and the temporaries are horrible. Our postal mail is less reliable than E-mail. :(

Phooey!
Decisions are made by those who show up