Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Book Recco - "The Perfectionist" - Rudolph Chelmin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Book Recco - "The Perfectionist" - Rudolph Chelmin

by John Tomasso » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:03 am

I recently read the above mentioned book, the heartbreaking story of Chef Bernard Loiseau.

The book describes his beginnings from kitchen apprentice, and follows his meteoric rise to three star chef. It then chronicles the sad conclusion to his career.

While I found the beginning of the book a bit slow, once it grabbed me, I couldn't put it down, and I became entwined in the lives of the characters.
The story provides a glimpse behind the scenes of what it takes to get and keep three Michelin stars, and the toll that it took on this one talented individual.

Despite the sad conclusion, I found many uplifting moments in the story, and I really enjoyed the book.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Book Recco - "The Perfectionist" - Rudolph Che

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:16 am

John Tomasso wrote:the heartbreaking story of Chef Bernard Loiseau.

Thanks for the tip, John! I've just put it on reserve from our local free public library.
no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

The Netherlands

Loiseau

by Bonnie in Holland » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:57 pm

I thought this was a very good book too. I read 'Burgundy Stars', where the author just mentions Loiseau's depression briefly while detailing life at the Cote d'Or, and Chelminski's 'The French at Table' -- both are terrific. I have always wondered how Loiseau's manic depression could have been so passed over by the folks around him? Sometimes you hear folks say 'we never had any idea'. But in Loiseau's case, folks really did know he was in a bad way. In any case, it is a great book, I agree.
cheers, Bonnie