The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What BC wines should I look out for?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

What BC wines should I look out for?

by Bruce Hayes » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:36 am

As some of you may know, my wife and I will be in Vancouver on vacation from July 10-22. I intend to do my best to drink only BC wines while I am there (since many of the province's wines never make it to Ontario).

What varietals should I look out for? From my experience, I would have to say that Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris are probably-possibly the best/most interesting BC wines.

All guidance gratefully accepted.

Thanks.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What BC wines should I look out for?

by Jenise » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:00 pm

You're right about pinot gris and pinot noir, Bruce. From there I'd go straight to a Best Producers list, because you shouldn't pass up ANY wine made by La Frenz--their Semillon, Viognier and Sauv Blanc are spectacular, and ditto their reds of which my favorite is a PN blend called Montage. Gewurzes can be interesting, they tend to be an un-Alsatian style that are drier and lighter than their European cousins. Wild Goose gets a lot of accolades for their whites, too, but I've not personally had any.

I would add Burrowing Owl, Blue Mountain, Poplar Grove, Cedar Creek and Nota Bene to the Producer A List. Bill might add others.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Patchen (Chicago)

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:57 pm

Chicago, IL

by Patchen (Chicago) » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Bruce:

When I was there a few years ago one of the best local wines I had was a La Frenz Semillon from the Okanagan Valley.

I'm sure locals will chime in but if you want a 3-yr-old trip report, it's here:

http://www.wineloverspage.com/user_subm ... 62210.html

cheers,

Patchen
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:42 pm

We went to Okanagan last Summer, and I tried a bunch of things. Blue Mountain Pinot Noir was the best thing I drank, but there were a number of good Pinot Gris and Pinot Blancs. And some good Riesling, as well. Most interesting place.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:49 pm

Steve--agreed. Blue Mountain pinot noir and pinot gris are the best wines in the Valley. I like Cedar Creek's pinots too, in particular the less-oaked regular over the reserve.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:45 pm

All bases seem to be well covered!! In my view, Cedar Creek, La Frenz, Sandhill all tops.
Bruce, there should be some good tasting notes here and on the old forum page, as a few of us have been known to open and report on some Okanagan wines!! Agree some of the Pinots are superb. Could go on, good luck. Wave as u pass over Alberta!
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:45 pm

Thanks to everyone who added their two cents' worth. Have made a list of everything and will carry it with me.

Already discovered that a few of the named producers' wines are available at our first evening's restaurant, the Raincity Grill.