The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The Future of Mondeuse

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: The Future of Mondeuse

by Rahsaan » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:37 pm

I've been in Paris for a few days, enjoying the delicious break from London Living, and of course filling myself with wine, but inbetween all the usual slurping, it is always invigorating to find something new and worthwhile.

As such, am currently working my way through the bottle of 2004 Jean-Yves Péron Mondeuse VdP d'Allobrogie "Champ Levant" although I must admit this is the first wine from the vaunted appellation that I have ever tasted.

Apparently the fellow studied and learned his craft under Thierry Allemand, and then made his first strike with some interesting plots of Mondeuse for the 2004 vintage.

I don't know if it's the parentage suggestion or what, but the deep dark intense concentration certainly reminds one of the Allemand style. Then comes the fresh floral finish and the clear trembling vibration (this is one of those 'natural' wines afterall), but always stable and always intense. Lovely.

Don't know if it has already made its way to the States, but there are a few other cuvees I plan to check out.

Anyone have other info on this?
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Very Interesting....

by TomHill » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:28 pm

Rahsaan,
Never seen before a VdP d'Allobrogie. There is some thought at one time that Syrah was a Vitis Alloborgia (sp?) with the implication that it was not Vitis Vinifera. Subsequent DNA has shown that Syrah is indeed Vitis Vinifera and a descendent of Mondeuse Noir and a near extinct variety Deureza (sp?). It is thought to be a natural cross that originated in the Savoie (which is the only appellation I've seen Mondeuse from) or Alloborgia (never hear of that region before, must be near Savoie).
Mondeuse is also known to be the same as Refosco di Peduncola Rosso of Friuli. Wonder how it got from Savoie to Friuli? Or vice versa? The French, as you'd expect, deny that Mondeuse and Refosco are the same variety. But the Refoscos I've had (some 25-30) sure have a lot of the same character I've found in the Savoie Mondeuse (maybe had 10 or so); black color, rather black cherry fruit, rather rough/rustic/tannic on the palate.
Easily, the best Mondeuse in the world comes from Mike Officer/CarlisleWnry, where he takes it from his Two Acres vnyd in yrs that it produces well.
That's it....TomHill core dump on Mondeuse.
Tom
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Very Interesting....

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:42 pm

TomHill wrote:TomHill core dump on Mondeuse.
Tom

Almost, but you could have mentioned Clendenen's Au Bon Climat Pinot Noir/Mondeuse blend, which in my experience is a mighty nice drop.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Very Interesting....

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:02 am

never hear of that region before, must be near Savoie

The VdP extends across the Savoie, the Haut Savoie, and the Ain.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Sacrelige...

by TomHill » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:57 am

"Almost, but you could have mentioned Clendenen's Au Bon Climat Pinot Noir/Mondeuse blend, which in my experience is a mighty nice drop."

Yup, Robin...forgot about that one. But we've been told, by numerous authorities, that it is sacrelige to blend PinotNoir w/ anything!!
Tom
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Sacrelige...

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:58 am

TomHill wrote:But we've been told, by numerous authorities, that it is sacrelige to blend PinotNoir w/ anything!!

Oh, that's true, of course. Except when it's not true. ;-)