FoodLetter bonus tip: World's easiest dessert

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

FoodLetter bonus tip: World's easiest dessert

Postby Robin Garr » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:57 am

I'm just absolutely crazy about fresh figs - purple Mission or green, I'll take them either way - and gleefully eat them like candy when they're in season, said season being all too short.

For a 10-second tip, though, here's a ridiculously easy way to turn the already delicious fig into one of the best (and easiest) desserts there is: Cut your fig in half, lengthwise. Dollop a spoonful of mascarpone cheese on the cut side of each half. Eat. I'll bet you can't stop with just one!
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Re: FoodLetter bonus tip: World's easiest dessert

Postby Gary Barlettano » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:22 am

As my former Wisconsin employers would say, "Youuuuu betcha!" I just recently grabbed a container of Calimyrna figs at Trader Joe's and have been popping them like M&M's since. It crossed my mind to chop some up fine and include them as part of the filling for braciole ... maybe with a few toasted pine nuts tossed in for good measure. (Of course, my mother wouldn't approve. She also doesn't like raisins in meatballs.)
Gary Barlettano
Pappone di Vino

Postby Howie Hart » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:55 am

Same thing, only different - Years ago my sister introduced me to eating a thin slice of guava paste together with a thin slice of Muenster cheese. Not bad for breakfast either. :wink:
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo

Postby ChefCarey » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:43 pm

Figs and prosciutto - ambrosia.
ChefCarey

Return to The Forum Kitchen