The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Joh. Jos. Prum at half the age of my marriage (WTN)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Vandegriff

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:33 am

Trinidad, CA

Joh. Jos. Prum at half the age of my marriage (WTN)

by Jim Vandegriff » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:32 am

A 1993 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese made an appearance at my 26th wedding anniversary dinner tonight at the Moonstone Grill in Trinidad, CA. The restaurant overlooks the Pacific ocean, and we had a lovely corner table overlooking Moonstone and Little River beaches. A really lovely spot was enhanced by the excellent meal and a lovely wine.
I had the Petrale sole stuffed with crab and spinach, and Illijana had a peppered ahi tuna after a salad of baby spinach and walnuts. The dishes were excellent, and the wine went well with everything. The wine, from my cellar, was a bit tight when uncorked upon arrival, but opened up to show a gentle "diesel" aroma with apricots, orange blossoms, and a hint of peach on the nose, with flavors that included stewed peach, pears, and a subtle stoniness. The wine was really a seamless whole, full of rich flavors, but oh so light on its feet; a prototypical middle mosel auslese. Sweetness was not high, and diminished as the wine opened up; the wine had a refreshing zip of acidity that provided a bit of "sparkle". Interestingly, when initially opening the wine, a bit of spritz was evident in the glasses, but this did not detract from our enjoyment of the wine. It did remind me of the more evident spritziness that is usual in these wines when young.
We shared the wine with our waiter, and sent a glass to the chef as I truly enjoyed the meal. I even did a bit of German wine education (about Wehlener Sonnenuhr, and Prum) with the waiter and the chef, both of whom enjoyed the wine.
While the wine is only half as old as our marriage, it was a treat to have it with my sweetie in such a beautiful setting. AP 2 576 512 8 94. It is in no danger of decline anytime soon, but it is drinking delightfully right now. Jim
in Trinidad, CA, by the sea
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

Re: Joh. Jos. Prum at half the age of my marriage (WTN)

by Peter Ruhrberg » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:53 am

Sounds like a great treat. 93 really has produced some marvels, esp Prüm and Grünhaus Auslesen...

Peter