The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '98 Reichscrapf Von Desselstatt Riesling Kabinet by Joseph Shafer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

WTN: '98 Reichscrapf Von Desselstatt Riesling Kabinet by Joseph Shafer

by wrcstl » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:08 pm

It is obvious by the title that I do not know how to identify a German wine. Assume the first part is a vineyard and Joseph Shafer is the producer. It was a Kabinett with a good dose of RS. A really nice wine for grilled fresh trout with nice balanced sweetness. The big plus was that my wife gave it two thumbs up. The amazing thing, as with my last German riesling, was 8% alcohol without even a hint of decline. A beautiful drink from the bin end for $9.99. Still don't understand why I don't have more wines like this.
Walt
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

Re: WTN: '98 Reichscrapf Von Desselstatt Riesling Kabinet by Joseph Shafer

by Peter Ruhrberg » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:57 am

Hi Walt,
you find some basic info on how to read a German wine label on my web site http://www.winepage.de

This one is a slightly special case, as the vineyard "Josefshöfer" is mentioned on the lable without the village name. Very few vineyards are granted that privilege. The vineyard belongs to the village of Graach, and lies adjacent to the Wehlener Sonnenuhr vineyard. It is owned solely by the producer "Reichsgraf von Kesselstadt". The latter is a high quality produced with various holdings in the whole Mosel-Saar-Ruwer region. They have recently been accepted into the VdP association of (most of) the leading growers in the area.

Peter
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:40 am

Hi Peter and it is really good to have you here as a winemaker (US terminology!!).It would be nice to see more wine producers here so we could ask more questions!
I have such a question about the mosel area. The perception in my mind is of searing acidity when young? Is this correct or does it depend on the wines method of production, the vintage quality whatever? I have a few in my cellar and have never been disappointed when opening!! But I do not seem to drink them on release, only at the tasting bar.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:54 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I have such a question about the mosel area. The perception in my mind is of searing acidity when young? Is this correct or does it depend on the wines method of production, the vintage quality whatever? I have a few in my cellar and have never been disappointed when opening!! But I do not seem to drink them on release, only at the tasting bar.

It depends on a lot of factors. One of the biggies is the vintage. Years like 1990, 1996 or 1998 gave high acid wines ot nearly everyone. 1997, 1999 and certainly 2003 gave lower acid wines. Then there's picking time (the longer the grapes hang the lower acidity generally gets) and some producers do fiddle with the juice a litte, but not many fine producers do that anymore.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:34 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Hi Peter and it is really good to have you here as a winemaker (US terminology!!).It would be nice to see more wine producers here so we could ask more questions!
I have such a question about the mosel area. The perception in my mind is of searing acidity when young? Is this correct or does it depend on the wines method of production, the vintage quality whatever? I have a few in my cellar and have never been disappointed when opening!! But I do not seem to drink them on release, only at the tasting bar.

Bob, I hope I have not given the impression that I am a wine maker. I'm not. I'm just a wine drinker. As far as acidity is concerned, vintage is of course a big factor. The next question is what happens with acidity as the wine ages. It does not go away, and I'm not sure if it does diminish in any real sense. Sweetness does diminish, so on balance, you would expect wines to taste more acidic with age. That seems to be a problem with vintages like 1990 or 1996. Some more experienced Riesling drinker agrue that a young Riesling should show "too much" sugar at the young stage, if it is to be a great wine with maturity.

Peter
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:48 am

Peter Ruhrberg wrote: Sweetness does diminish, so on balance, you would expect wines to taste more acidic with age. That seems to be a problem with vintages like 1990 or 1996.

Peter

So do you think the 1996s will ever come around? I don't.
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:42 am

David M. Bueker wrote:So do you think the 1996s will ever come around? I don't.

I have too little data to venture an opinion. Strangeley, one 96 I have had great pleasure from over the years, and still do, is Loosen's ÜWG Spl trocken. His Prälat Auslese (regular) is also very nice. I Haven't tried many others though. I have much more 98 in the cellar, and I'm confident about that vintage.

Peter
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:04 am

I have much greater confidence in 1998 as well.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:11 am

Peter Ruhrberg wrote:Hi Walt,
you find some basic info on how to read a German wine label on my web site http://www.winepage.de

This one is a slightly special case, as the vineyard "Josefshöfer" is mentioned on the lable without the village name. Very few vineyards are granted that privilege. The vineyard belongs to the village of Graach, and lies adjacent to the Wehlener Sonnenuhr vineyard. It is owned solely by the producer "Reichsgraf von Kesselstadt". The latter is a high quality produced with various holdings in the whole Mosel-Saar-Ruwer region. They have recently been accepted into the VdP association of (most of) the leading growers in the area.

Peter

Peter,
Thanks for the web link, I wil use it. Guess I really described this wine incorrectly related to the label. What threw me off was "Josefshofer" , the vineyard was in small print at the very bottom of the label where I am used to seeing the producer. Reichsgraf von Kesselstadt, the producer was in big letters in the middle of the label where I usually see vineyard information. Many on this web site say German wine labels are easy to read but I find quite the contrary. Regardless, a very nice wine.
Walt